View previous topic | View next topic

Long Flights

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Jenny
1022672.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote

I have a friend whose son lives in Los Angeles and works in Miami. He commutes on a Monday morning and returns on a Friday afternoon. I think he's nuts.

Alfred E Neuman
1022711.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:48 am Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:
While LHR-CPT may be a ~12 hour flight, it's overnight, with at most 1 hour time difference.

It's one hour difference in your summer, but two in your winter.

chrisboote
1022714.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:54 am Reply with quote

I thought it was zero and one hour - has it changed recently?
(Last time I was in CT was about four years ago, normally got to PE via Jo'burg)

Edited: I see from the South African Standard Time page that this is from May this year
Phew! I thought I was going senile(r)

Last edited by chrisboote on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total

chrisboote
1022717.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Kathleen Turner made a radio series with BBC Radio 4 a few years ago (VI Warshawski) for which she commuted from the USA - they did it by time-shifting the british cast and crew so that Kathleen could get off the flight, do a 2-4 day recording session and then return to the colonies without ever changing her personal clock from colonial time.

PDR

That sounds really sensible
I was about to be disparaging (along the lines of "the BBC did that?") then realised that you were talking about Radio 4 - who are to the BBC what Bavaria is to Germany

Alfred E Neuman
1022730.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:39 am Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:
I thought it was zero and one hour - has it changed recently?
(Last time I was in CT was about four years ago, normally got to PE via Jo'burg)

Edited: I see from the South African Standard Time page that this is from May this year
Phew! I thought I was going senile(r)

I fear you may yet be going senile. It hasn't changed recently.

SAST (South African Standard Time has been GMT+2 or UTC+2 since the 1st of March 1903.

PDR
1022743.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Is that 19:03 GMT/UTC or SAST?

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
1022750.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:35 pm Reply with quote

It's all relative...

14-11-2014
1205711.  Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:21 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Score a point for local knowledge over believing what it says on Wikipedia!

In that case, add Amsterdam Schiphol to the list.

Wikipedia wrote:
Schiphol's name is derived from a former fortification named Fort Schiphol, which was part of the Stelling van Amsterdam defence works. Before 1852, the Haarlemmermeer polder in which the airport lies was a large lake with some shallow areas. There are multiple stories of how the place got its name. The most popular story is that in the shallow waters sudden violent storms could claim many ships. This was the main reason for reclaiming it. In English, Schiphol translates to "Ship Grave", a reference to many ships supposedly lost in the lake. When the lake was reclaimed, however, no ship wrecks were found. Another possible origin of the name is the word 'scheepshaal'. A scheepshaal is a ditch or little canal in which ships would be towed from one lake to another. A third explanation would be that the name derived from the words "scip hol". This is a low-lying area of land (hol) from where wood would be obtained to build ships.

This looks like the typical Grave Land's entertainment while struggling to be interesting, a kind of contradictio in terminis, and/or work in progress. The only story of how the on-topic place got its name is the former fortification. "The place" of the next three explanations is the off-topic fortification, but not the airport.

One can append to the Schiphol list of facts that the name of the fortification, "Fort Schiphol", is wrong, and that their Fort aan het Schiphol Wikipedia page apparently includes none of the three explanations of how "the place", (Fort aan het) Schiphol, got its name. Details...

Alfred E Neuman
1205729.  Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:30 am Reply with quote

Geography Guy wrote:
While Delta Airline's Johannesburg-Atlanta route only covers 8,400 miles (13,600 km), it will soon become the longest flight in terms of duration, taking up to 17 hours.

In the meanwhile, I've done that flight and I did not enjoy it.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2