View previous topic | View next topic

Language

Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

RLDavies
1105562.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote

salamander wrote:
Egyptian DjedDjed "eternal"

I've forgotten a lot of Egyptian, but I'm fairly confident in saying reduplication is not a feature of the language. Djed (dd) means "stable, enduring" (not "eternal"). The ending -w(t) would make it a noun, "stability". This same ending is used to make nouns plural, and an adjective-turned-abstract-noun can be written as if it were a plural noun. Since dd is normally written with the ideogram of the djed-pillar, ddw(t) can be written by duplicating the ideogram. But that's just a spelling convention, not duplication of the actual word.

Like other Semitic languages, Egyptian grammar includes a class of verbs called geminative verbs. Part of a more basic root is reduplicated to form a new verb that gives a sense of intensity or continuous action. For example, int means "fetter", and intnt means "restrain, hold back"; or wn means "pass by", and wnwn means "travel about". It's probably unlikely that ordinary Egyptians paid much attention to the duplication underlying these verbs, any more than English speakers take note of the "one" in "alone".

14-11-2014
1203340.  Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote

EXE wrote:
CÚlibataire, which means bachelor in French

A British television show in the afternoon. A young Dutch woman in perfect English, Toksvig could have been her teacher, called and said: I'm sitting on a stool (a chair, a stoel).

Bondee
1203478.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote

No dear, she was sitting on a stool.

Not a chair. A stool.

suze
1203503.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote

I quite often find that I'm not quite sure what 14-11-2014's point was, and his post above is an instance of this.

But the word stoel is a false friend for an English-speaker learning Dutch, because it does indeed mean a chair. The Dutch word for a stool as depicted by Bondee is kruk. The Dutch word for a stool, a piece of feces, is not given in my fairly small English-Dutch dictionary.

'yorz
1203508.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Stool in that sense would be ontlasting. (un/de-burden?)

crissdee
1203514.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I quite often find that I'm not quite sure what 14-11-2014's point was..........

You're way ahead of most of us then!

I barely understand anything that he/she/it posts!

Page 9 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9