Language

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

salamander
1079599.  Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:13 pm Reply with quote

A pidgin dialect is one used for busines ;pidgin is pidgin for business

Awitt
1079600.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote

My dad knew a man who'd lived/travelled around the islands where 'pidgin' languages are common, and a description for sardines in a can was 'no swim fish.'

CharliesDragon
1079604.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote

Pikachu just really likes sparkly stuff? Well, that made him/her/it less cool...

julesies
1079723.  Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:03 pm Reply with quote

salamander wrote:
1There are a lot of seemingly accidentall similarities between japanese and maori:
MaoriPuku=stomach,japanese Manpuku=full belly Maori kai=food
japanese kai=shell or to Buy
But it isnt really a coincidence bcause the origin of both peoples goes back to tawan

Do you have a source for this? Maori is a Polynesian language, while Japanese is Japonic. I can't comment on Maori, but in Japanese the puku in manpuku comes from fuku () which means abdomen or belly. The Japanese way of pronouncing this character (its kun-yomi) is actually hara. The fuku comes from the transliteration of the Chinese pronunciation of this character. The second example, kai, is the Japanese pronunciation so it could have originally been a loanword from Maori or to Maori.

salamander wrote:
3The reason that we say you are..is that you is not a singular or plural,its a dual and goes back to the roman emperors who at times ruled as two people

Do you have a source for this, too?

salamander
1079726.  Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote

not really a reply to the above question;although i think it was my old ancient history teacher who told me about the roman empire, and the
modern theories about maori migration trace it back to taiwan 'doug sutton) university of auckland

more on language The emperor claudius tried to revive etruscan ,the semi extinct language of the roman predecessors

ConorOberstIsGo
1079845.  Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote

I think mitochondrial DNA might help plot the spread of peoples in that region; as I mentioned in another M thread, this has pointed towards the Native North Americans being of Japanese origin too.

salamander
1080135.  Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote

knightmare wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunstan_Baby_Language

DVD seller wrote:
Neh (I'm hungry)
Owh (I'm sleepy)
Heh (I'm experiencing discomfort)
Eairh (I have lower gas)
Eh (I need to be burped)

I'ld expect a smartphone app if it would be that easy to recognize sounds. Now professionals have to learn the assumed language.

in japan a few years back we had the meow lingua and bow
lingual which translates 5or 6 Basic
Cat and dog phrases such as I'm hungry.

CharliesDragon
1099421.  Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote

Scientists have now compelling evidence that human language developed in Africa (before some of us migrated out to Asia, Europe, etc.) and has steadily declined in variations the further from Africa the migraters got. I'm not completely convinced, I can't fully wrap my mind around people just "forgetting" how to make certain sounds, making us end up with Hawaiian for example, a good example of a language with fewer sounds, if their alphabet is anything to go by.

Well, having given it a bit more thought I guess it makes sense, since Norwegian has lost the "th" sound, going with just a plain "t," and is in the process of losing a variation of "sh"/"ch."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/business-tech/science/110415/language-science-linguistics-mother-tongue-english-chinese-mandarin-africa

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1377150/Every-language-evolved-single-prehistoric-mother-tongue-spoken-Africa.html#ixzz1JafeJeuI

I know one of those links is to the Daily Flail, but I feel it actually gave a better overview than the Global Post article. And I'm too tired to use donotlink.com or even embed the links.

14-11-2014
1104461.  Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Slip (knickers in Dutch)

Reversed (phonetic!), "guess" the last English word of each line:

Quote:
Mijn oom vindt kauwen op een stropdas ... (taai)
Dus lijkt hem alles wat ik bak ... (fraai)
Maar hij eet liever dan patat ... (chips)
En kijkt dan van de pitten ... (pips)

Hij heeft waarschijnlijk ook een slecht ... (bed)
Waarin hij constant in een kuil ... (pit)
Ik zei: 'Ik denk dat u vervloekt ...' (bent)
'Omdat u voedsel enkel ingeblikt ...' (kent)

Hij schold toen zwaaiend met een stok: '...' (Stik!)
Als ik zo over mijn kort lontje ...,' (wik)
'Denk ik dat ik een goede uitslag ...' (scoor)
'Als ik hiermee door een mannelijk zwijn ...' (boor)

Maar ik, die met kritiek wacht, ...: (weet)
Dat hij zich altijd met zijn partner ... (meet)
Omdat hij vroeger steeds te laat ... (leed)
Van wat zij op een afspraak ...: (deed)

Dat hij van haar gesluierd ... (veelt)
Dat zij het bier verschaald ... (steelt)
En in de glazen woedend ... (pist)
Omdat ze van geen kaartspel ... (wist)

Als hem wat hem bedwelmde ... (drukt)
En hij daarvan geďrriteerd ... (bukt)
Als alles wat hij opborg ... (stoort)
En de tandarts hem verveeld ... (boort)

Wordt zelfs een medicijn ... (druk)
Gaat zijn relatie die al vastzat ... (stuk)
De keuken die nog was gesloten ... (lokt)
Hij die een blauwtje heeft gelopen ... (wokt)

Niet dat mijn oom dat elke dag ... (dee(d))
Naar de Chinees mag ik altijd in mei ... (mee)
Hij neemt dan zelf nasi en voor mij ... (mie)
En beide voor de vrouwen want die zijn ... (bi)

Nu ben ik mijn beheersing nogal ... (kwijt)
Omdat hij zijn servet steeds goed ... (rijt)
Niet dat ik om zo'n scheurtje ... (tier)
Maar het zijn er naar ik vrees ... (vier)

RLDavies
1105562.  Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:28 am Reply with quote

salamander wrote:
Egyptian DjedDjed "eternal"

I've forgotten a lot of Egyptian, but I'm fairly confident in saying reduplication is not a feature of the language. Djed (dd) means "stable, enduring" (not "eternal"). The ending -w(t) would make it a noun, "stability". This same ending is used to make nouns plural, and an adjective-turned-abstract-noun can be written as if it were a plural noun. Since dd is normally written with the ideogram of the djed-pillar, ddw(t) can be written by duplicating the ideogram. But that's just a spelling convention, not duplication of the actual word.

Like other Semitic languages, Egyptian grammar includes a class of verbs called geminative verbs. Part of a more basic root is reduplicated to form a new verb that gives a sense of intensity or continuous action. For example, int means "fetter", and intnt means "restrain, hold back"; or wn means "pass by", and wnwn means "travel about". It's probably unlikely that ordinary Egyptians paid much attention to the duplication underlying these verbs, any more than English speakers take note of the "one" in "alone".

14-11-2014
1203340.  Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:45 pm Reply with quote

EXE wrote:
Célibataire, which means bachelor in French

A British television show in the afternoon. A young Dutch woman in perfect English, Toksvig could have been her teacher, called and said: I'm sitting on a stool (a chair, a stoel).

Bondee
1203478.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote

No dear, she was sitting on a stool.

Not a chair. A stool.

suze
1203503.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:52 pm Reply with quote

I quite often find that I'm not quite sure what 14-11-2014's point was, and his post above is an instance of this.

But the word stoel is a false friend for an English-speaker learning Dutch, because it does indeed mean a chair. The Dutch word for a stool as depicted by Bondee is kruk. The Dutch word for a stool, a piece of feces, is not given in my fairly small English-Dutch dictionary.

'yorz
1203508.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:31 pm Reply with quote

Stool in that sense would be ontlasting. (un/de-burden?)

crissdee
1203514.  Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I quite often find that I'm not quite sure what 14-11-2014's point was..........

You're way ahead of most of us then!

I barely understand anything that he/she/it posts!

Page 8 of 9
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next