View previous topic | View next topic

DISH

Page 1 of 1

gerontius grumpus
52728.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote

Diffuse Idiopathic Skeletal Hyperostosis is a degenerative bone disease maily affecting the spine. It causes the vertebra to fuse, by formation of syndesmophytes (bone bridges between vertebral bodies) and ossification of longitudinal ligaments.
It is often confused with ankylosing spondylitis (Bamboo spine) which is an inflammatory disease of the spine, also leading to fusion.
Dish is very common in western countries, affecting between 6 and 12% of the population, compared to 1% forAS.

Well I think it's interesting.

Celebaelin
52735.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:38 am Reply with quote

Er, is this related to undirected osteoclast/osteoblast activity of itself or is there believed to be a, presumably as yet unknown, root cause to the pathological bone deposition.

violetriga
52764.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:19 pm Reply with quote

I thought this was going to be about DISH, Texas

suze
52849.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:32 pm Reply with quote

I've moved what I said here to here

It was a little rude of me to hijack a serious discussion about a serious medical condition, for which I apologise. So if you want to read about DISH, Texas and stuff, click the link!

Last edited by suze on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Twopints
52941.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Truth or Consequences is a city located in Sierra County, New Mexico. As of the 2000 census, it had a total population of 7,289.

Originally called Hot Springs, it took the name of a popular radio program in 1950, when Truth or Consequences host Ralph Edwards announced that he would do the program from the first town that renamed itself after the show. Ralph Edwards came to the town during the first weekend of May for the next fifty years. This event was called the "Fiesta" and included a beauty contest, parade, and a stage show. The town was also the fictional hometown of Cactus Jack, one of the many professional wrestling personas of Mick Foley.

Jenny
52942.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:56 pm Reply with quote

I'm interested in the spinal condition because I've never heard of it. How would somebody know they've got that? What sort of symptoms does it throw up, other than (presumably) back pain?

grizzly
52943.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:59 pm Reply with quote

I assume the disease only affects the elderly as I don't see 1/10 of children in my school walking around with fused vertebra

djgordy
52947.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:11 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:

So then world, which town in the USA renamed itself after a radio game show? Kind of like "Brain of Britain, Rutland" although I may have made that one up ...

Doesn't George W. Bush come from I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Texas?

gerontius grumpus
53024.  Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:14 am Reply with quote

grizzly wrote:
I assume the disease only affects the elderly as I don't see 1/10 of children in my school walking around with fused vertebra

I think the statistic of 6-12% means that this percentage of people will develop the disease in their lifetime. This is usually qualified by only including those people who survive into middle age.

Page 1 of 1