View previous topic | View next topic

Diabetes

Page 1 of 1

gerontius grumpus
52716.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:08 am Reply with quote

Everyone knows about diabetes mellitus, the insufficient production of insulin by the pancreas. Diabetes insipidus is , perhaps, less well known.
Diabetes insipidus is caused by a lack of antidiuretic hormone, this leads to an excessive production of urine by the kidneys which leads to an insatiable thirst.
As Icarus points out in Things D, the word diabetes refers to the increased flow of urine, a major symptom of both conditions.

Celebaelin
52737.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:49 am Reply with quote

Presumably since alcohol is known to be a competative inhibitor of ADH there exists the possibility of treating central DI with an artificially manufactured ADH, if indeed this is not already done. The relative advantage compared with treatment with actual ADH I can't comment on however.

Nephrogenic DI is more problematic; though kidney disfunction of this sort is not easily addressed other than by redressing the fluid balance there may be a molecular level abnormality which could be investigated/addressed. Maybe.

Jenny
52940.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:54 pm Reply with quote

How do they distinguish between the two things in order to treat them? Just from the insulin levels? I thought insatiable thirst was a symptom of all types of diabetes - is that not so?

Interesting - what we think we know.

Celebaelin
52949.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:42 pm Reply with quote

Old medical joke

Now, how to diagnose diabetes by the taste of a patients urine, a doctor observes of all the details of a patients condition in order to make his diagnosis. Thus I dip a finger into the urine, and *lick* find that the elevated sugar levels are characteristic of DM. Whereas in this case *dip, lick* I find no such elevated sugar levels pointing me towards DI.

Now, eveyone, assess the difference for yourselves *passes round samples*

*Murmurs of dissent, resignation and ultimately agreement*

Now those of you with a keen eye will also have observed that I dipped this finger but licked this one!

djgordy
52960.  Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote

This joke is usually told regarding an autopsy where the finger is placed up the cadaver's rectum.

Page 1 of 1