View previous topic | View next topic

Left handed

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Fien
1026943.  Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:16 pm Reply with quote

I had a teacher once, who is naturally lefthanded, but who was forced to right with here right hand. She can write lefthanded perfectely and as fluent as with her right, but she can only right from right to left.

Another interessing clip on lefthandiness (by James May): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0vRI8YGgQs

Webster100
1027102.  Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:09 am Reply with quote

Left-handed people have larger corpus callosums, the part of the brain that links the two hemispheres. This might explain the cultural stereotype that left-handers are more creative, but without more evidence, that seems like overreaching for now.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4023705

'yorz
1027119.  Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:46 am Reply with quote

I am living proof. I could give you references, but I don't like to boast.

Fien
1027121.  Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote

As if this post isn't boasting ;)

purplebaffles
1073517.  Sun May 11, 2014 7:04 am Reply with quote

Both Jim Henson and the Muppets were left handed. Unlike the Simpsons, though, this was not due to Henson creating them in his image, but all down to the practicalities of puppetry. The (majority right handed) puppeteers would need to use their dominant hand to control Kermit's head and facial features. The puppeteer would then perform the less complicated task of moving the puppet hand with their left hand.

The figures for left footedness are quite interesting- roughly 18-20% as opposed to approx. 10% who are left handed. Making the rather large assumption that handedness and footedness are linked, this could reflect a hangover (or indeed continuity) of the suppression of left handedness, there being less motivation to suppress left footedness. Incidentally, 20% is usually the minimum number of left sided players in a football team (full back and winger). Has society learned to accept a higher proportion of left footers to ensure the survival of the 4-4-2 system?

'yorz
1073529.  Sun May 11, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote

I am a dedicated leftie, but always threw my quoit with my right hand. Go figure.
Oh, and started the obligatory three steps forward before the throw on my right foot, too. I cut meat with the knife in my right hand, but will then switch for the consuming part.
Is mine a twisted personality?

Spud McLaren
1073530.  Sun May 11, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote

You're asking us??

'yorz
1073534.  Sun May 11, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote

*mwah*

tetsabb
1073542.  Sun May 11, 2014 7:42 am Reply with quote

At the recording of a popular TV panel shew I attended the other evening was a young lad who appears to be genuinely ambidextrous -- he could write with both, to the extent that he would use his left had for the left page, and his right for the right page.

Posital
1073573.  Sun May 11, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote

Writing different stuff with each hand, mirror writing... more info plz.

I can write with both in any direction (not upside-down) - but writing different things at the same time is outside of my ken... I have to keep swapping focus...

franticllama
1073645.  Sun May 11, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote

Same, though it takes me a bit longer to write with my left hand - though people prefer it as they can actually read the writing then.
I've tried to write with both hands at the same time and haven't been able to do so. I'd like to be able to though

seemm
1077709.  Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:21 pm Reply with quote

It was still common in schools right up until the 60s to try and discourage students from writing with their left hand by continually moving their pencil from one hand to another during the first few years of school, however it was not forced just suggested.

Also being forced to write with your right hand when you are left handed can cause a stammer because the communications between the two sides of the brain gets muddled and it compensates resulting in a stutter.

Jenny
1077716.  Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Hi seemm and welcome to the forums :-)

Prof Wind Up Merchant
1099017.  Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote

Interesting fact seemm.

Peeeeeteeeee
1101137.  Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote

I think most left handed people can use there right hand better than right handed people can use there left, simply because there are a lot of things in life that don't really allow for people to be left handed.

There are still a few things I come across where being left handed is a disadvantage. One I found recently was hockey.

I know a left handed kid who gave up hockey as he also played golf. You can play golf left handed but not hockey. As he learnt to swing the left handed way (for golf), he found it harder to play hockey.

Yes, I am left handed.

No, I am not moaning about it.

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next