View previous topic | View next topic

Left handed

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Spud McLaren
1023906.  Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote

Sparkyweasel wrote:
But the tricky fingering (feel free) is done with the left hand anyway. The right hand may be used for fancy finger-picking, but often just strums, or holds a plectrum.
No strumming or plecs here; just pickin'. I wouldn't have the coordination to pick with the left hand.

chrisboote
1024051.  Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote

Fien wrote:
Michelangelo

Bzzz, klaxon, alarums and excursions!

He may or may not have been
The only historical record of his handedness comes from a sculptor called de Montelupo who wrote
"Here I may mention that I am in the habit of drawing with my left hand, and that once, while at Rome, while I was sketching the arch of Trajan at the Colosseum, Michelangelo and Sebastian del Piombo (Venetian painter active in Rome), both of whom were naturally left-handed (although they did not work with the left hand except when they wished to use great strength) stopped to see me, and expressed great wonder, no sculptor or painter ever having done so before me, as far as I know."

(and PS, yes, I agree, nice interesting first post)

Last edited by chrisboote on Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total

chrisboote
1024052.  Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:10 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The wording of that rule is poor; there must be a better way to make it plain which side is meant. All the same it is clear that left handed sticks are not allowed, so thanks for finding that!.

Absolutely 100% correct
I had a left-handed stick in the '70s and it's use was banned not long after I left school

Playing later ion life, forced to use a wrong-handed (for me) stick I just turned it upside down

As a left hander, playing on the left back, I was hell on earth to right wingers on the opposing team, who would tear down the wing and then get body blocked by me .. snigger

Big Martin
1024112.  Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:18 am Reply with quote

Fiing matchlock muskets forces you to learn to do it right handed if you don't you end up with a burning pan full of powder under your nose, as I never seen any left-handed ones. I'm not sure I could fire any sort of rifle left handed these days after 30+ years of having to do it right handed.

I once worked on a group of 7 desks where 6 of us were left handed. Not sure if that says anything or it was just a coincidence.

Left-handedness definitely runs in our family. My dad was right-handed but did some things left handed, his brother is left handed and out of us 3 sons, only my little brother is right-handed - and he does a number of things left handed.

Fien
1024203.  Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:
Fien wrote:
Michelangelo

Bzzz, klaxon, alarums and excursions!

Oops, sorry. That was the just the way it was written in the newspaper...Are there any sources where they say he was righthanded?

chrisboote
1024278.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote

I have never found any

chrisboote
1024279.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:27 am Reply with quote

Big Martin wrote:
Fiing matchlock muskets forces you to learn to do it right handed if you don't you end up with a burning pan full of powder...

So the SA80 is no better than a flintlock musket?
Doesn't surprise me...

Vatnos
1024456.  Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
Isn't there something about chaps using their 'non-dominant' hand for a certain other activity in order to try to pretend it's someone else's hand?

Actually it's pretty convenient since you can still use a computer mouse in the right hand while you're doing it.

Though as a natural-born righty this, along with eating with my left hand (for the same reason, convenient for internet surfing--fork in the left/mouse in the right) has caused me to become somewhat ambidextrous over the years.

Dr Fell
1024874.  Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pm Reply with quote

I thought I had a zen-type joke about "the sound of one hand wanking" but I just couldn't pull it off.

Alfred E Neuman
1025107.  Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Dr Fell wrote:
I thought I had a zen-type joke about "the sound of one hand wanking" but I just couldn't pull it off.

If there was a "like" button here....

crissdee
1025139.  Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Efros wrote:
A modern bow has an inset where the arrow is shot from, bows with an older design are ok for left and right eyers.

Not necessarily, my english longbow is left handed because it has an arrow plate on one side only.

Efros
1025174.  Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:20 pm Reply with quote

The arrowplate is usually secured with a whipping or leather, without that the bow could be used either way.

crissdee
1025278.  Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote

mine is inset into the bow, utterly fixed.

'yorz
1026578.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:00 pm Reply with quote

Time for some sinister bragging.

I can write upside down as well as mirror as well as upside-down-mirror (with my left hand).
Writing with my right hand will result in slow and quite uncontrolled script; it is legible, but that's about it.
However: when I take a pen in each hand, I can mirror-write with my right hand what I write with the left, at the same speed, and with much more assuredness.

Where's the straightjacket?

Spud McLaren
1026588.  Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Over there, just next to the bentjacket.

Tsk.

Page 6 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next