Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Strawberry
1001920.  Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote

Lassie

Also, post 3439.

Strawberry
1001921.  Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:39 pm Reply with quote

And here are a couple of links about Laika.

Link

Link

'yorz
1001928.  Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote

Lightning bug (firefly)

vid

Lightning bug in toad's stomach - quite a sight!

Last edited by 'yorz on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Spud McLaren
1003741.  Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:20 pm Reply with quote

The loris

Female lorises practice infant parking, leaving their young infants behind in nests. Before they do this they bathe their young with allergenic saliva that is acquired by licking patches on the insides of their elbows that produce a mild toxin that discourages most predators, though orangutans occasionally eat lorises.

A nocturnal animal, the Bengal slow loris has excellent night vision, enhanced by a tapetum lucidum—a layer of tissue in the eye that reflects visible light back through the retina. It is not a seasonal breeder, unlike the pygmy slow loris. Females in an estrous cycle attract males with a loud whistle.
- all from Wiki.

djgordy
1003744.  Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 pm Reply with quote

Interestingly the male and female loris are differently coloured. You can see them in the jungle.....

...red loris yellow loris red loris yellow loris red loris yellow loris....

Sadurian Mike
1005776.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Remember - NO pork service!

Spud McLaren
1005785.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 pm Reply with quote

Quite right, too. It might upset the other diners.

Sadurian Mike
1005794.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:57 pm Reply with quote

That was a photo I took during last year's paid holiday to Malaysia.* We laughed at the time, we laughed when the photo was transferred to the computer, and we still laugh now.

*It was a business trip for Jan. The quote including suitably posh seating on the aeroplane (as expected for one of her importance) and the hotel was booked per room rather than per person. When the posh air seat was moved tailwards back down the aircraft somewhat, it worked out to be the same as two seats.

As it turned out, the new seats were then upgraded by BA anyhow, and Air Miles sorted them out on the way back. So it was two return almost-pointy-end tickets plus a week in posh hotels in Singapore and Malyasia, all for a few Air Miles and the price of food and drink (which was cheap).

Sadurian Mike
1005796.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote

Here's another Malaysian Super Lobster, armoured and polished.

He may be a crayfish or prawn, though.

'yorz
1005811.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:58 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
That was a photo I took during last year's paid holiday to Malaysia.

Wasn't that when you were burn to a crisp (well, part of your anatomy was...;-p)

Sadurian Mike
1005815.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:17 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Sadurian Mike wrote:
That was a photo I took during last year's paid holiday to Malaysia.

Wasn't that when you were burn to a crisp (well, part of your anatomy was...;-p)

That particular part of the anatomy was almost the only bit that survived. I still have very faint tan-lines on my thighs, and the holiday was back in October!

The photo taken at the time leaves very little to the imagination in terms of how bad and comprehensive the burning was. It also leaves little to the imagination in other ways,* so, not being djgordy, I shall refrain from inflicting it upon the forum.

*Let's just say that the small toiletry bag provided by the airline did sterling service for that photo.

PDR
1005820.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Spud McLaren wrote:
The loris

Female lorises practice infant parking, leaving their young infants behind in nests. Before they do this they bathe their young with allergenic saliva that is acquired by licking patches on the insides of their elbows that produce a mild toxin that discourages most predators, though orangutans occasionally eat lorises.

A nocturnal animal, the Bengal slow loris has excellent night vision, enhanced by a tapetum lucidum—a layer of tissue in the eye that reflects visible light back through the retina. It is not a seasonal breeder, unlike the pygmy slow loris. Females in an estrous cycle attract males with a loud whistle.
- all from Wiki.

What about the English Slow Loris?

There must be a lot of them because I've often heard radio warnings about the M1 and M6 where they advise about "slow loris causing a tailback".

PDR

'yorz
1005822.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:02 pm Reply with quote

Lorris!

PDR
1005828.  Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:22 pm Reply with quote

Oh, I see, you were talking about Clark Kent's partner. Apols for the confusion.

I feel such a fool.

PDR

bemahan
1010942.  Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:21 am Reply with quote

Lampyris noctiluca aka the glow worm.

The expert on our walk last night gave us lots of facts about British glow worms. I was going to impart some of them to you but then found this website which does a very good job of it, with photos. One fact I particularly liked was that the larvae, which are tiny, kill snails by nibbling a hole in the shell and injecting venom into it to reduce the snail to a sludge. They get very messy but clean themselves up afterwards using a little brush on their tails. Handy!

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next