View previous topic | View next topic

Dehydration

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

smiley_face
265942.  Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote

Anyway, to actually answer the question given, it is quite organised - the routes are already drawn out, like the roads in, say, the UK. It's just the amount of traffic flowing along those routes which makes the difference.

Let's say London is the heart...

If the amount of traffic on the roads in the country is very large, but you only want 3,000 cars arriving per hour in Southampton, then you reduce the number of lanes on the M3 to two or one.

auron5500
266150.  Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:55 am Reply with quote

I think that's the best analogy for it that I've ever heard. It's certainly a well documented fact that blood can be diverted away from certain areas to ensure an adequate supply to others. In the QI episode on differences it states clearly that the blood will stop going to the extremities to ensure the survival of the vital organs (in this case it was the temperature of the blood that was important). In extreme cases (as shown by a programme by professor Robert Anthony Winston) blood can be diverted away from the brain (in the case of an anneurysm (sp?) to prevent further damage from being caused, and in this case you black out). Whether this is the correct explanation for the cause of the feeling of dehydration the morning after I cannot say but certainly the concept of blood being having a somewhat dynamic route around the body is well explained.

Sorry if that didn't make much sense.

Jenny
266461.  Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:15 pm Reply with quote

Thank you smiley - that makes it very clear.

Auron - it's OK, it made plenty of sense!

Page 4 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4