View previous topic | View next topic

Dehydration

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Archie
153675.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

Now, Mat, if you can just produce evidence that drinking seawater is in fact good for you, I think we'll be home and dry.

Or home and wet?

Mulvil
153858.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote

I find sparkling water is great for a hangover myself, ordinary water makes me throw up if I'm hungover and for some reasong sparkling water doesn't

Anyway, alcohol is also a diurectic I believe, isn't it?

Three litres of water sounds like a lot but even if you drink soft drinks or juices they all contain water so I'm sure I do get three pints of the stuff a day. And all foods contain it unless they are dessicated.

I do drink water but not a full 3 litres

smiley_face
153969.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote

Mulvil wrote:
Anyway, alcohol is also a diurectic I believe, isn't it?

Yes. I'm fairly sure there's quite a lot of evidence for that, the fact it's not possible to go out drinking of an evening without needing the loo far more than usually being just one example.

samivel
153988.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Surely that would happen if you went out drinking but stuck to non-alcoholic drinks, though?

Not a Number
154000.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:06 pm Reply with quote

Only one solution for it - organize two groups. Group A will drink nothing but alcoholic drinks throughout an evening, while Group B will abstain and drink the same volume of liquid. Lavatory trips will be recorded.

I will be captain of Group A.
Go!

bexdiva
156671.  Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote

i believe the proof of the diuretic nature of said beverages would be in to volume of urine passed rather than the frequency with which it is passed. The reason you go to the loo more when you go out is because you are constantly drinking liquid solidly for hours. but a diuretic will make you expel a higher proportion of the liquid consumed AND carry on working in this way once you have stopped drinking (thats why you get that 4 o clock in the morning "ghandi flip flop" thing goin on in your mouth)
i believe the only way to test the volume of urine passed is for all concerned to wear nappies. This will also remove the need to queue for 3 hours at a time in the ladies or stand red faced whilst your other half pi**es against a building.................

eggshaped
176688.  Tue May 22, 2007 7:14 am Reply with quote

More in the news today about tea's non-dehydrating effect.

Quote:
Studies on caffeine have found very high doses dehydrate and everyone assumes that caffeine-containing beverages dehydrate. But even if you had a really, really strong cup of tea or coffee, which is quite hard to make, you would still have a net gain of fluid.

More on how great tea is here

smiley_face
176816.  Tue May 22, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Does that mean that by drinking 10 cups a day, I am nigh-on invincible!?

samivel
176838.  Tue May 22, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote

No, it means you'll be desperate for the toilet.

smiley_face
176843.  Tue May 22, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote

I have an extraordinarily large bladder.

mikeyfone
176866.  Tue May 22, 2007 12:20 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Quote:
There’s no scientific basis for the curious idea that fluids other than water cause dehydration.

Fluids with caffeine in them are pretty good at dehydrating you because the caffeine acts as a diuretic, making you expel more water than your body naturally would.

http://www.physchem.ox.ac.uk/MSDS/CA/caffeine.html

The problem with this is I've heard different arguments. I must say, in my experience, a cup of tea after a run is much more refreshing than a glass of water (no, I don't have a caffine addiction)

Natalie
184704.  Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote

"Water, water everywhere,
And all the boards did shrink,
Water, water everywhere!
Nor any drop to drink."

Commonly mis-quoted. Apologies for the punctuation, my memory isn't that good.

Also, sorry for not paying attention over a week ago when this topic was last discussed. :)

"The man hath penance done,
And penance more must do"

Laughing Feet
206868.  Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:33 pm Reply with quote

It has been shown that ANY fluid intake "the morning after" will help to counteract the dehydration effect of alcohol - even MORE ALCOHOL! (This is the basis of the 'hair of the dog' cure)

Any fluids imbibed will ameliorate the dehydration - but when more alcohol is taken, the liver reverts to processing methanol? rather than ethanol? (sorry - not sure which order, but the simplest and most easily processed chemical first) and this temporarily relieves the dehydration symptoms.

Thank you, BRAINIAC: SCIENCE ABUSE - I'm now in a perpetual state of inebriation (but not dehydrated!)

Personal note: Two pints of tap water taken immediately before retiring REALLY helps! Force it down! Pee if you must! Awaken refreshed! :-)

smiley_face
207006.  Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:29 am Reply with quote

Laughing Feet wrote:
Any fluids imbibed will ameliorate the dehydration - but when more alcohol is taken, the liver reverts to processing methanol? rather than ethanol? (sorry - not sure which order, but the simplest and most easily processed chemical first) and this temporarily relieves the dehydration symptoms.

I'm not sure how the liver would process methanol with the consumption of more alcohol, since alcoholic drinks don't, as far as I know, contain methanol. However, I may be missing something vital. Methanol is really quite toxic (not that ethanol isn't, but you know...).

Are you sure the two chemicals that are processed in one order or another were ethanol and methanol? Or could they have been ethanol and ethanal?

Laughing Feet
207329.  Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote

I'm sure he said METHANOL - perhaps there is a small amount of Methanol in alcoholic drinks, and this is what causes hangovers and dehydration because of the difficulty the liver has processing it? I don't know for sure - I'm just going by what I thought Richard Hammond said. I'm pretty sure he said Methanol. If I catch the re-run I'll re-post :-)

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next