View previous topic | View next topic

Answer to a question in I series episode 10

Page 1 of 1

aahaavis
998075.  Tue May 21, 2013 3:17 am Reply with quote

In the I series episode 10, the cast wonders why Jesus would have been counted as coming from the stem of Jesse even if Joseph wasn't his actual father. The answer to this is simple: The Israelites didn't define someones child so biologically. For example, if a man had died and left a wife, the brother of the dead man would be obligated marry the widow and produce heir for his dead brother. This is called levirate marriage. Onan was married this way to Tamar, but he didn't want to have children with her since they wouldn't be his own (and this is why we have the term onanism for either masturbation or coitus interruptus)

So Luke would have seen no reason to try to prove that Jesus would have had a biological connection to the stem of Jesse.

Another comment to the same episode:
They say that Saint Nicolas lived in Turkey, so that's where Santa Claus' home is and not in North Pole or Lapland. However, the Finnish Santa Claus ('joulupukki' in Finnish) isn't originally based on Saint Nicolas. There are old fairytales of 'Joulupukki' as a frightening character, a kind of a boogeyman who punishes and even kills and eats bad children during "Joulu" (nowadays Finnish for Christmas, but originally the pagan event more known outside scandinavia as Yule, even though I dont know any language in whitch it would be written so. In swedish its Jul and in norse its Julen, and in all these three languages "j" is pronounced as "y" would be in English, so I guess that's why the spelling has been changed).
The tale of Joulupukki originates from Odin of norse mythology rather than from Saint Nicolas. He has only later been merged with Santa Claus and has only minor differences to the American one now. (mainly that he comes on Christmas eve and hands out the presents personally)

aahaavis
998076.  Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote

I also think it likely that Christmas tree originated from Scandinavia too. During the historical Yule, lights were attached to evergreen trees because it was belived that the sun was attracted to both of them (green trees and lights) and would therefore start coming back. Lapland is so northern that there is a time in midwinter when the sun doesn't rise at all for days (depending on how North you are of course, at the very northest point of Finland it lasts for 51 days), so people were afraid the sun would not come back.

Of course the modern Christmas tree practice started in Germany during the Renaissance, but Yule folklore indicates that Scandinavia had the practice earlier.

CB27
998130.  Tue May 21, 2013 5:46 am Reply with quote

The question wasn't really about the "stem of Jesse", it was about the census, and it was given as one of the examples of how the story of Jesus was manipulated to try and fit various prophecies even though the details could not be right.

Sadurian Mike
998138.  Tue May 21, 2013 6:28 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
the story of Jesus was manipulated to try and fit various prophecies even though the details could not be right.

I believe that writers find this particular literary tool useful when compiling religious texts.

Page 1 of 1