View previous topic | View next topic

Fear of humanoid robots

Page 1 of 1

demiandub
994821.  Wed May 08, 2013 1:11 pm Reply with quote

Hi guys,
here is my suggestion for a QI question/topic: The fear of humanoid robots and the “uncanny valley” (cf. wikipedia article on “Uncanny valley”):

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis in the field of robotics and 3D computer animation, which holds that when human replicas look and act almost, but not perfectly, like actual human beings, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. The "valley" refers to the dip in a graph of the comfort level of humans as a function of a robot's human likeness.”
There are a number of explanations for this phenomenon (cf. wikipedia). One is the idea that the imperfect facial expressions of humanoid robots as well as the texture of their fake skin creates associations of corpses or even zombies.

Hope this was the right place to post this (it's my first^^). Would love to see this topic featured on the show someday!

'yorz
994824.  Wed May 08, 2013 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Hi demiandub - nice first post, that :-)

germananglophile
994846.  Wed May 08, 2013 2:48 pm Reply with quote

demiandub wrote:
The "valley" refers to the dip in a graph of the comfort level of humans as a function of a robot's human likeness[/i].”

Hello demiandub!

I believe the 'valley' phenomenon is very noticeable in the I-Series episode "Intelligence" when ASIMO first appears. ;) To my shame I have to confess having undergone a certain horror at first, too.
Having seen ASIMO live just last November, I have to say though he is quite remarkable, "sweet" even, like Stephen Fry said. :)

djgordy
994886.  Wed May 08, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote

"Automatonophobia".

Quote:
Automatonophobia can be loosely defined as the fear of wax figures, humanoid robots, audio animatronics or other figures designed to represent humans. Only rarely does the fear become a full-blown phobia, but it is relatively common to experience hesitation or nerves when confronting these figures.

It is currently unknown precisely what causes this phobia. It may be, however, partly due to our own innate expectations of human behavior. We tend to mistrust people who stare blankly, remain quiet or act in ways that we do not consider “normal.” Whether programmed to move or simply standing silent, automatons look but do not behave like humans.

www.phobias.about.com/od/phobiaslist/a/automatonphobia.htm

I used to know someone who wouldn't go into a wax museum or similar place and thought it a just an odd one off, but Judy Finnegan, when she was doing the Richard and Judy show on C4, once mentioned that she was the same.

salamander
1079590.  Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote

this is a very interesting topic,one of the reasons i think japan has more androids than the us becuse they dont have the tradition of the golem and other artifficial hhumans w have

salamander
1079596.  Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:49 pm Reply with quote

this is also a problem of the "pakinsonian mask" some pakinsons patients ae affected by dystonia, a freezing of the facial muscles,which creates a robot-like xpression and some people draw away fromm this.one of the most important types of physical therapy for pd people is movin the cheeks and tongue so we dont ook so much like these robots
this is a major theme of philip k dicks novel do androids dream of electric sheep the humans,frigthened of humanoid robots attemmpt to create tests but then the humans themselves are failing the tests
at the end of the directors cut of the film deckards partner says its too bad she wont live,but then again who does planting the seed that deckard himself may be an android

Page 1 of 1