View previous topic | View next topic

Well-In Garden City from ep. Journalism

Page 1 of 1

Tnmkon
994617.  Tue May 07, 2013 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Hello! It's me again.
I translate subtitles for Russian fans of QI but I didn't get one moment of the Journalism episode. It's on 4.25-4.45 there
What's the fun of "Well-In Garden City" and so on? What's that voice? What's this all about? )) I think I just don't know something about Sunday Sport.
I would be appreciate if you would explain it to me.

suze
994621.  Tue May 07, 2013 6:11 pm Reply with quote

The Sunday Sport is a downmarket British newspaper. It is known for two things.

One is its completely made up news stories. The classic one was "World War II airplane found on the Moon", which story was credited to "Bertie Ollocks". ("Bollocks" is a British slang word which literally means the testicles, but is also used to mean "utter nonsense".)

The other thing for which the Sunday Sport is known is its photos of ladies without their clothes. A few other newspapers publish one such photo, but the Sunday Sport publishes one hundred or more in every edition.

"Well in", as used by Ross Noble there, is a homophone for Welwyn, as in Welwyn Garden City. In British slang, if one man says to another "You're well in with her", it means "I think you'll get to have sex with her". Which is the sort of thing that - or so Mr Noble sees it - a Sunday Sport reader would say.

Tnmkon
994624.  Tue May 07, 2013 6:44 pm Reply with quote

Oh, thank you so-so-so-so much! It's clear now and I'll try to translate it properly. The story about airplane is quite funny ))

Jenny
994635.  Tue May 07, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Tnmkon - "well-in" accompanied by that voice and the clenched fist implies that the speaker has met with sexual success, so Ross Noble was making a pun on the name of Welwyn Garden City, which is pronounced as Wellin. So the comment "look at the front of those houses" in that tone of voice and in that context is meant to be like a man making a comment on a woman's breasts. Stephen's reference to the delights of the "back alley" have a similar connotation for gay men.

CB27
994641.  Tue May 07, 2013 10:43 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, I have a lot of sympathy for any translators of the show because Stephen and several guests often like to use language and the double meaning of words for gags which do not lend themselves well to translation.

Page 1 of 1