View previous topic | View next topic

Is there a problem with the Qi Search function?

Page 1 of 1

CB27
993218.  Wed May 01, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote

I wanted to search for a very old thread, but kept getting no results for my searches, so to test I searched for other things which you'd expect to find, but still no results.

PDR
993223.  Wed May 01, 2013 4:17 pm Reply with quote

The threads may have been culled to liberate server space - I don't think *all* threads are preserved indefinitely.

PDR

suze
993228.  Wed May 01, 2013 4:31 pm Reply with quote

That is certainly part of the issue.

The other part of the issue is that there is a list of words which the search function is programmed not to be able to find. Precisely what's on that list I don't know, but while it includes the very common words that you'd likely expect (don't bother searching for "the"), it does appear to include some mildly surprising entries too.

In general, it's usually best to search for a post via the least common word that you're fairly sure was contained.

CB27
993231.  Wed May 01, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote

Would the list include the word "people"?

I'm sure I created an old thread about Qi people, but I can't remember who I wrote about, so the only thing I could think of was to search for "people", couldn't think of anything else :)

CB27
993232.  Wed May 01, 2013 4:52 pm Reply with quote

Right, decided to search a number of things I might have included in my original post, then found a mention of it in another thread in 2007, so decided to look through threads in 2007 in Quite Interestings, and finally found it, but have a feeling it was one attempt of two, because I'm sure I wrote about more than one person :)

suze
993236.  Wed May 01, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Would the list include the word "people"?

Yes, it appears that it does. I'm sure that I must have used the word "people" on these forums, but the search says that I haven't - so it must be one of the excluded words.

PDR
993274.  Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 am Reply with quote

Is the exclusion list static? It might be that the forum software adds any word for which it finds more than (say) 500 hits in a search.

PDR

dr.bob
993297.  Thu May 02, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote

Exactly right. Each new post is parsed and words stripped out to add to the search list. If at any point a particular word appears too many times* in the search list, it is automatically dropped by the forum software and added to a list of words that it doesn't bother to search on.

*for some value of "too many" that I can't remember off hand

Jenny
993365.  Thu May 02, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote

Dr.bob - does our search function do the kind of search that looks for an exact phrase inside inverted commas?

Page 1 of 1