View previous topic | View next topic

Take someone who is blind from birth...

Page 1 of 1

Phoenixrider
990466.  Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:53 pm Reply with quote

"Take someone who is blind from birth, let him or her handle a sphere and a cube. And than there is a new operation that amazingly comes and restores their sight and you show them the sphere and the cube. Will they be able to tell which is wich?" Was the question asked on the H series Hypothetical. Well there are blind from birth people who are able to draw what they feel or at least there is one, a Turkish man named Eşref Armağan. I suggest you check it out. Two researchers, Dr. Amir Amedi and Dr. Alvaro Pascual-Leone took their project on video, shouldn't be hard to reach.

'yorz
990470.  Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:09 am Reply with quote

Welcome, Phoenixrider :-)
Interesting! I just picked a link to illustrate your post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3O71Ty-1PM

Zebra57
990479.  Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:07 am Reply with quote

Welcome; an interesting contribution.

Jenny
990597.  Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote

Welcome Phoenixrider :-)

Thanks for finding the link, 'yorz - interesting.

When I was an undergraduate I had a friend who had been blind from birth, and I was one of a rota of people who worked with him, helping him with notes and so on. We were on the same Psychology course together in my first year, 1969/70, so the available technology was fairly limited. One of the things we studied was the psychology of vision, and of course he had real difficulty with things like constancy of shape, size and brightness, and the way depth cues, relative size, binocular vision, perspective and texture affect what we see.

I remember doing a diagram for him by drawing on a sheet of plastic with a ballpoint pen, that raised a line he could follow with his fingers. It looked a bit like this:

but with none of the lines dotted. He had great difficulty in seeing how this looked like a box, so we found a cube and I had to show him how each line on the diagram corresponded with one of the edges of the cube.

I think what Eşref Armağan has done is develop an extensive and intricate touch memory, the way my friend had to, except that he has incorporated what he has been told of colour into his memory of what shapes ought to feel like.

Phoenixrider
990801.  Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:40 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the greetings :-)

I belive this man is remarkable and unique. As far as I remember they've found out that when he uses fingers to understand how it looks like, his part of the brain which helps us to see starts to work. Very interesting man.

Page 1 of 1