Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

swot
1018592.  Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:36 am Reply with quote

Why doesn't he like March 2008?

swot
1018593.  Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:39 am Reply with quote

I looked him up on Youtube. I rather like this comment:

Quote:
Hasn't there been enough Ulstermen bombing in mainland Britain?

retrogirl64
1018751.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:40 am Reply with quote

Thank you. I was wondering about that. I agree that some of the variations of that saying are getting out of hand. I saw a pink poster the other day. It said "keep calm and think like a princess"

swot
1018763.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote

My sister in law bought a changing mat for my niece that says 'Keep Calm and Change my Bum*. I'm not sure if that's more or less horrible than 'Think like a Princess'.

She's mentioned buying us a baby bath, I hope she doesn't get us a changing mat as well.

*in the north, one's nappy is not changed, one's bum is changed

PDR
1018770.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:05 am Reply with quote

swot wrote:

In the south one's nanny changes the nappies on one's offspring.

PDR

chrisboote
1018785.  Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
swot wrote:

In the south one's nanny changes the nappies on one's offspring.

PDR

Ah, you are far more well versed in the doings of the domestics than I would care to be

tetsabb
1020315.  Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote

The other day I saw a sign outside a shop selling spa and similar equipment
'Keep Calm and Relax in a Hot Tub'

Fontanelle
1021300.  Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
Blimey! Hello Fonty!

Almost two and a half years between posts? Where/how have you been?

How lovely to be remembered (: I've been somewhat awful and mostly well, doing the life thing, you know. You?

I'm decidedly impressed with everyone's know how in Isrealish. Are you familiar with the proverb 'we'll kill a Turk and rest,' the Hebrew equivalent of 'one step at a time'?

Bondee
1021376.  Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote

Fontanelle wrote:
How lovely to be remembered (: I've been somewhat awful and mostly well, doing the life thing, you know. You?

About the same.
; )

Spud McLaren
1144723.  Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote

retrogirl64 wrote:
what is origin of " keep calm and......" i have come across so many variations of that phrase on everything from keychains to posters to door mats.
suze wrote:
It was the slogan of a British government poster of 1939, intended to convince the British people that Germany wouldn't be conducting air raids on British targets. But in fact, the posters were never widely distributed, and seem never to have been put on display on public billboards.

So the wider world would never have heard of it[...].
I've just seen archive footage from early on in WWII and on a billboard in the background was a headline saying "Keep Calm and Dig". So the idea was there...

Efros
1144724.  Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:46 am Reply with quote

According to this website it's from 1938.

Posital
1144732.  Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Part of "Dig for Victory"?

Efros
1144735.  Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that didn't come about 'til the actual start of the war.

Feralcat
1282228.  Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:12 pm Reply with quote

As to the KEEP CALM AND DIG of 1938, the trenches for protection of civilians started in 1938.

I remember reading of it but when I tried to get info, despite typing WW2, I was constantly directed to trench warfare of WW1.

Finally, I found a site called St John's Wood memories that mentioned the digging of the trenches in Regent's Park - for 6000 and Primrose Hill for another 2000.

I had read it in a book maybe a decade ago? but could not get any info about civilian used trenches pre start of WW2 until I typed in Trenches in Regents Park.

If I hadnt typed that,- which was a bit vague, as a memory, I don't know how long I would have been directed and redirected to WW1, which may explain why it isn't so well known.

This is the bit I managed to lift from the original. I am computer illiterate and struggled with this. If you visit the site, it has some photos and drawings etc of bomb shelters but this WAS done well before the war, as unease grew.

The need to provide shelter for citizens caught in the open when an air raid started was realised before the start of the Second World War, so in 1938 trenches were dug in Regentís Park that had room for 6,000 people and in Primrose Hill for 2000. Unfortunately, they were usually very damp. The Zoo, (which closed on the outbreak of war but reopened within a month, and stayed open throughout the† war), had shelter for 1,000 people.

Efros
1282231.  Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:41 pm Reply with quote

Londoners take shelter in St. James's Park during the war's first air raid warning, Sept. 3, 1939

and

ARP workers digging trenches for air-raid shelters, in St James Park, London

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next