View previous topic | View next topic

Keep Calm And Carry On

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fontanelle
1015543.  Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:04 am Reply with quote

funnily enough, the above hand gesture is used in Israel to signify 'hang on' or 'one moment, please'. We lost many in Florence like that :P

Bondee
1015994.  Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:21 am Reply with quote

Blimey! Hello Fonty!

Almost two and a half years between posts? Where/how have you been?

CB27
1016154.  Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote

Even after all these years outside Israel, I still use that gesture for "hang on a sec" with family (often with the verbal "Rak Regah!"), it's stuck with me.

In the opposite direction, my colleagues find it funny when I get impatient with some slow software and say "Nuuuu!"

The other one I rememebr confused kids here when I came to London, is that instead of sticking the middle finger out to flip the finger, in Israel you opened your palm and stuck your middle finger in :)

'yorz
1016155.  Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:28 am Reply with quote

Ah yes, "Rega, rega!". :-)

retrogirl64
1018276.  Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:05 pm Reply with quote

what is origin of " keep calm and......" i have come across so many variations of that phrase on everything from keychains to posters to door mats.

suze
1018320.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:17 am Reply with quote

It was the slogan of a British government poster of 1939, intended to convince the British people that Germany wouldn't be conducting air raids on British targets. But in fact, the posters were never widely distributed, and seem never to have been put on display on public billboards.

So the wider world would never have heard of it, but in 2000 a second hand book dealer found a copy of the poster among a joblot that he'd bought at an auction. He was rather taken with it and put it up in his bookstore, and customers started to ask if copies were available. And it all took off from there.

That book dealer is said to be rather bored of it by now, but I don't suppose he minds the few pennies he gets every time someone buys a poster.

PDR
1018323.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:48 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
That book dealer is said to be rather bored of it by now,

Bored of it or bored with it?

PDR

suze
1018328.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:09 am Reply with quote

Makes rude gesture with fingers in direction of PDR

Yes, OK, the prescriptivists reckon that one should say "bored with". They approve of "bored by" as well, although it's rather less common.

And they claim that "bored of" is "wrong". Even though the Oxford English Corpus shows "bored of" to be by far the most commonly used form in writing of the last thirty years or so.

swot
1018332.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:

That book dealer is said to be rather bored of it by now, but I don't suppose he minds the few pennies he gets every time someone buys a poster.

Charlie Brooker is similarly disdainful, as am I.

suze
1018346.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:41 am Reply with quote

I just learned something from that. If I'd thought about it, I suppose it's obvious that the bookstore guy had to get the poster digitally remastered before he could sell copies. But who knew that he hired the editor of Viz for the job?

Please tell me that there aren't really "Keep Calm and Carry On" condoms. It's been a while since condoms played any part in my life, but no man with that slogan displayed along his willy would be admitted under any circumstances.

swot
1018350.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote

A quick google suggests not, unless you want some bespoke ones. Even so, I'd guess it would say that on the packaging only.

CharliesDragon
1018354.  Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:20 am Reply with quote

Keep calm and turn to page 394.

Bondee
1018543.  Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:33 pm Reply with quote

swot wrote:
suze wrote:

Charlie Brooker is similarly disdainful, as am I.

As is Irish comedian Michael Legge...

From a tweet with the caption...

Quote:
Here's my list of things I hate from Free Wifi*. It's over now so you may as well have it.

*the title of his Edinburgh show this year.

suze
1018550.  Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:05 pm Reply with quote

Oh dear.

Until now, I cannot say that I'd heard of Irish comedian Michael Legge. But now that I have heard of him, I almost want to like all the things that he doesn't just to annoy him. Even parodies of Keep Calm and Carry On, I suppose, although there are limits ...

Bondee
1018552.  Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote

His act* consists entirely of him ranting at anything and everything whilst not being mistaken for Dave Gorman.

*I say "act", I hope it's an act, because anyone who really is that angry is bound to have some sort of stress related issues sooner or later.

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next