View previous topic | View next topic

Kayak Kansas to Kakadu

Page 1 of 1

Geography Guy
987465.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:55 am Reply with quote

Google Maps has quickly become a useful navigation tool that thousands have come to trust. It is perfect for planning car trips and holiday routes between streets, cities, or states.
But let's say that you live in Kansas City, USA, and want to take a holiday in Kakadu, North Australia. You know that flights would be expensive, and you don't want to pay the hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars for a Kansas City-Los Angeles-Sydney-Darwin-Kakadu flight.
Could Google Maps help with this, perhaps? Yes it can. According to the Google geniuses, you can drive from Kansas to Kakadu in only 453 hours (19 days).
Start your trip with a leisurely 27-hour drive to Gas Works Park, Seattle. From here, proceed to "sail across the Pacific Ocean" for 2,756 miles until you reach Hawaii for a brief pit stop. From there, sail a further 3,879 miles to Tsuchiura, Japan. Now simply retrieve your car from your sailboat and continue to drive 889 miles across Japan. From Fukue Island in the south, get the sailboat back out and sail 3,358 miles across the Pacific Ocean to Darwin, Australia. Get the car from the sailboat and drive south for 131 miles to Kakadu, Australia.
Assuming that you have access to a car that can fit on a sailboat without sinking it, and vice versa, this does seem to be a feasible method. However, it is highly impractical.
Only recently has Google changed the sailing step from the original kayaking stage. The average kayak with a human pilot will sink with 250 kg of water.
So, if you do want to kayak or sail from America to Australia, I recommend the Peel P50, supposedly only 59 kg.
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Kansas+City,+KS,+United+States&daddr=Kakadu,+Northern+Territory&hl=en&ll=20.13847,-158.378906&spn=92.699255,190.898438&sll=17.811456,-158.027344&sspn=93.501687,190.898437&geocode=FUXVVAIdeBlc-ikVNc8n5IzAhzEFHsNwe3d33A%3BFcJ5Pv8dJlXlBymP6D1sWR23LDEgSCUqqBcCBA&oq=kansas+c&mra=ls&t=m&z=3

franticllama
987623.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:57 am Reply with quote

This is a rather amusing function of google maps - I could play with it all day. I came across it last year when I didn't have enough money for a plane ticket to South Africa and as a joke I wanted to see how long it would take me to walk the trip form the south of England to Johannesburg.

According to google it would take me 2 429 hours to walk, though I think this would require a fair amount of rather accurate sleep walking. The countries to cross through would be: France, Spain, Algeria, Niger, Nigeria, Chad, Central African Republic, DR Congo, Zambia and Botswana.

A good pair of walking boots would probably be recommended.

Geography Guy
987739.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm Reply with quote

You can go further than England. Try Cape Town to Singapore, that sounds like a fun 4,922-hour-walk.
This route goes through Namibia, Angola, DR Congo, Rep. of Congo, Gabon, Cameroon, Nigeria, Niger, Algeria, Tunisia, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Myanmar, Thailand and Malaysia.
Something I've also noticed is that there is no border crossing with China on Google Maps (except Japan via jet ski), so to get from Vladivostok (near the Russian-Chinese border in the north) to Hanoi (near the Vietnamese-Chinese border in the south), you have to travel 15,000 km from Pacific coast Russia through Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam to reach Hanoi.

tetsabb
988248.  Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Surely from Cape Town to Singapore you would go up the right hand side of Africa, across Egypt and Israel, then on through Jordan, Iran etc. That route quoted takes you right round the wrong side of the Med!

Quote:
A good pair of walking boots would probably be recommended.

Along with a fair array of small arms, as it takes you through several, if not war zones, then places where a lot of other folk have guns and a great preparedness to use them, it seems.

'yorz
988253.  Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:22 pm Reply with quote

I love this bit:

Quote:
Use caution This route may be missing sidewalks or pedestrian paths.

The horror!

franticllama
988515.  Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Along with a fair array of small arms, as it takes you through several, if not war zones, then places where a lot of other folk have guns and a great preparedness to use them, it seems.

And I was hoping to get by on charm and smiling nicely - what could possibly go wrong...?

tetsabb
988537.  Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote

Go on, give it a go.
I suggest you compose a will before you set off, though.
:-)

EXE
989055.  Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Maybe it's a glitch, but I tried getting directions from Seoul to Pyongyang and it said that it couldn't calculate it.

priya
989061.  Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:45 pm Reply with quote

EXE wrote:
Maybe it's a glitch

Not unintentional I suppose (only strictly in a geographical sense though). Both Koreas are recent additions to Google Maps and apparently it will take time to get reliable street level navigation.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21226623

Page 1 of 1