View previous topic | View next topic

Karamay: China's Richest City

Page 1 of 1

Geography Guy
987226.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:35 am Reply with quote

Karamay, a small settlement in China's barren, desert Xinjiang province, outranked the global mega-hubs of Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and more as China's wealthiest city per capita in 2011. It looks like the cause is "black gold", many of the 300,000 inhabitants striking it rich from Western China's vast oil reserves.
Quote:
In 2008 the GDP reached 66.1 billion, and GDP per capita reached 242,391 (US$34,901). The GDP per capita ranks first among 659 cities in Mainland China.

http://www.china.org.cn/top10/2012-04/09/content_25093860.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karamay#Economy

priya
987312.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:00 am Reply with quote

Geography Guy wrote:
Karamay

Would anyone know how this is pronounced? Incidentally, 'Karam' pronounced as 'Kaaram' means 'Spice(hot)' in Tamil language and 'Karamay' is 'the quality/state of being spicy'

suze
987315.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 am Reply with quote

The city's name is Uyghur, and is said to mean "black oil".

I'm not sure about the pronunciation, but Uyghur is a Turkic language and Turkish also spells it Karamay. That leads me to guess at ka-RA-my. (Turkish placenames are usually stressed on the penultimate syllable.)

priya
987325.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The city's name is Uyghur, and is said to mean "black oil".

I'm not sure about the pronunciation, but Uyghur is a Turkic language and Turkish also spells it Karamay. That leads me to guess at ka-RA-my. (Turkish placenames are usually stressed on the penultimate syllable.)

Thanks Suze! Uyghur reminded me of Uruk-hai (Middle Earth Orcs) - which led me googling about it. Apparently, Uruk is a 'Black Speech' word. Black speech itself is the language used for the inscription upon the Ring. Now, I find it very interesting that Black speech is also an agglutinative language, much like Turkish!

Page 1 of 1