View previous topic | View next topic

Ka'apor people of Brazil

Page 1 of 1

foritsownsake
987178.  Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:25 pm Reply with quote

The Ka'apor are a distinct ethnic group of indigenous Brazilians living on a protected reserve in the state of Maranhão, which is located in Northeast Brazil. This area of Brazil is heavily deforested, but the Ka'apor live in a protected region that has mostly escaped this destruction up until more recent times.

Loggers have been invading the land occupied by Amazon Natives since the 1990s, looking for highly valued wood such as mahogany, which is illegal to harvest in Brazil. Tribal members protesting increased mandates to log their forests have been shot and killed.

The quite interesting fact about the Ka'apor is that they have much higher than average rate of congenital deafness, about 1 in 75. As a result, most children grow up being bilingual in both the spoken language of Ka'apor, as well as a sign language known as both Ka'apor or Urubu Sign Language.

Their sign language differs from other European sign languages such as American Sign Language, Auslan and New Zealand Sign Language in a couple of interesting ways. Notable features of Urubu Sign Language are its object–subject–verb word order, and its locating of the past in front of the signer and the future behind.

Kyle and Woll, in Sign Language: The Study of Deaf People and Their Language (1985) speculate that this represents a world view of the past as something visible, and the future as unknowable.

Research compiled from wikipedia and the internet at large.

PDR
987182.  Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:24 pm Reply with quote

AIUI James Cameron based the scenario used for Avatar on the Ka'apor.

PDR

CB27
987193.  Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:16 pm Reply with quote

I didn't know about the Ka'apor people, but Maranhão is a really interesting state to visit. They have a desert there with beautiful white sand, but with lots of lakes because it rains quite a lot, it's weird and beautiful at the same time. I remember going there years ago and it's like being on a different planet :)

Jenny
987204.  Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Welcome foritsownsake, though I fear you may be a bit late for K series research now :-)

foritsownsake
987211.  Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I suppose "late" is relative - I'm here because the elves haven't indicated an alternative method of demonstrating research capability. When they do, I'll move on to the next series!

CB27
987336.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote

Get thee behind me!!! :)

I had to look up pictures of the desert I mentioned, and came across these, I'd love to go back again:

Memories of an incredible holiday from many years ago...

germananglophile
987413.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Welcome foritsownsake, though I fear you may be a bit late for K series research now :-)

Really? I don't know about the UK/BBC, but in my experience nothing in TV is ever final until the actual recording. And that won't start until the 22nd, right?

Either way, fascinating. To me this forum is a 'warm up' to get excited about K-topics, no matter what happens on this coming series. :)

Page 1 of 1