View previous topic | View next topic

Kit and Kaboodle

Page 1 of 1

germananglophile
985725.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote

all the while would make a good compilation show name...

 
germananglophile
1000517.  Wed May 29, 2013 4:33 pm Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:
all the while would make a good compilation show name...

Or apparently a good last recorded episode title... And the best part: I got to be there ( how much luck can one have???) Just left the ITV building and am still grinning from ear to ear... : D

 
Spud McLaren
1000520.  Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote

Hurrah! Another one to you, another one (Kitchen) to me (jointly with O-E).

Edit: double 'rah - Richard Osman is one of the guests on the Kitchen episode, and Victoria Wood is another.

 
germananglophile
1022309.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:06 pm Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:
germananglophile wrote:
all the while would make a good compilation show name...

Or apparently a good last recorded episode title... And the best part: I got to be there ( how much luck can one have???) Just left the ITV building and am still grinning from ear to ear... : D


I can't believe it - I'm in the audience shot even!!!! Hahahaha!
*faints with happiness*

 
Bondee
1022336.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:
I can't believe it - I'm in the audience shot even!!!!


Which one are you, so we know who to look for in the XL?

 
germananglophile
1022362.  Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:59 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
germananglophile wrote:
I can't believe it - I'm in the audience shot even!!!!


Which one are you, so we know who to look for in the XL?


left bottom corner, blond, white shirt, purple scarf, grinning like a loon :D

 
tetsabb
1022496.  Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:12 pm Reply with quote

By the spellling of 'blond' are to take it that you are a male person?

 
germananglophile
1022552.  Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:13 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
By the spellling of 'blond' are to take it that you are a male person?

Nope, female. The way I understand it a 'blonde' usually refers to a woman, but 'blond' just is the hair colour, no matter what the gender. Unless I learned that wrong... Second language and all that... ;p

 
chrisboote
1022659.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:25 am Reply with quote

Generally* even the adjective changes spelling

Are blond/blonde naif/naive the only two English adjectives that change spelling according to the gender of the subject?

* Generally=most well educated people I know do it

 
germananglophile
1022671.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote

chrisboote wrote:
Generally* even the adjective changes spelling

Are blond/blonde naif/naive the only two English adjectives that change spelling according to the gender of the subject?

* Generally=most well educated people I know do it


http://grammarist.com/usage/blond-blonde/

There you have it. With English as my second language I adapted to the preference of the Country I inhabit.
But I like the distinction, English after all overall is very neutral, not having 'gender assignments' for nouns as in German, French, Spanish, etc. So I shall revise my spelling on my own hair colour from now on. (And yes, that's with an "ou", not just "o", my fellow Americans. ;p)

 
chrisboote
1022699.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote

Well, thank you for that link, 8-) it's added two more to my list
brunet/te and fiancé/e

 
suze
1022732.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:46 am Reply with quote

TEFL texts usually identify blond / blonde as the only English adjective which is marked for gender.

I can't say that I've ever heard brunet used of a man, although since we do use blond I'd defend it. But the two usage guides which I just checked both state that naïf should not be used instead of naïve when the subject is male.

Moving away from adjectives to verbs, I reckon né / née is the only instance in English of a past participle being marked for gender. It is correct to refer to a man who has changed his name as (for instance) Elton John né Reginald Dwight, but we use née in the much more common instance of a woman who has changed her name.

 
Bondee
1022813.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:
left bottom corner, blond, white shirt, purple scarf, grinning like a loon :D


I waved at the tv, but I don't think you saw me.
; )

 
germananglophile
1022836.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
germananglophile wrote:
left bottom corner, blond, white shirt, purple scarf, grinning like a loon :D


I waved at the tv, but I don't think you saw me.
; )
1

Hmmm... Now that you mention it I'm sure I felt 'waved at' through the time continuum sitting in the auditorium back on May 29th... ;D

 
AlmondFacialBar
1022838.  Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:38 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I can't say that I've ever heard brunet used of a man,


House about himself in the Season 2 finale.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

 

Page 1 of 1

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group