View previous topic | View next topic

Koelnisch Wasser

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

germananglophile
987421.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:57 pm Reply with quote

I botched the wikipedia link on my first posting, but there are some quite interesting facts about Eau de Cologne/Koelnisch Wasser yet, so bear with me while I drone on. ;) (After all I am from Koeln/Cologne and in my homesickness am always happy to share tidbits about it, such as that Koeln was named by Roman occupants ("Colonia"/colony) and received its city status rights by Agrippina the younger, Emperor Nero's mum.)

First though - actually CLICKABLE link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4711

and then the origin of Koeln's very own Eau de Cologne brand name, 4711: The number refers to the house number of "Glockengasse 4711", which was assigned during the French occupation at the end of the 18th century. And while 4711 is not the very first Eau de Cologne, it is at least the most famous original scented water product.

(All local pride and nostalgia aside though - that stuff is nasty. Do not buy. ;) )

'yorz
987424.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:03 pm Reply with quote

I was about to say - most offensive to the nose (at least, to mine). But many elderly biddies used to have it in their handbags and reek of it.

AlmondFacialBar
987425.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:04 pm Reply with quote

What I never got... Except for your notorious Aachener Straße no street in Germany has ever had four digit housenumbers, so what's the deal with tjis one, peculiar exception?

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

germananglophile
987432.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:25 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
What I never got... Except for your notorious Aachener Straße no street in Germany has ever had four digit housenumbers, so what's the deal with tjis one, peculiar exception?

AlmondFacialBar

Ha!
So you've been? :D
Very good question... Hm, let me refer you to the link above, section 4711. There is a quite a bit written on the house numbering process, though I don't find it too enlightening. <:)

germananglophile
987437.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:53 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
I was about to say - most offensive to the nose (at least, to mine). But many elderly biddies used to have it in their handbags and reek of it.

Don't I know it. My Grandma's closet and drawers used to have that scent. Quite overpowering... Funnily enough though my memory of her does not get triggered by 4711 but by "Nimm2" orange and lemon candies... :D

suze
987448.  Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote

While reading about Kölnisch Wasser, I recalled that we had a thread about the stuff once before.

That thread was actually created as spam - it contained commercial advertising which has been removed. But it also contained the remarkable assertion that Kölnisch Wasser was originally marketed as a beverage, for which reason alone the thread was saved from deletion.

See post 784987 et seq.

AlmondFacialBar
987468.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:46 am Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

Ha!
So you've been? :D
Very good question... Hm, let me refer you to the link above, section 4711. There is a quite a bit written on the house numbering process, though I don't find it too enlightening. <:)

I've been what? To Cologne? Why yes... Most Germans make it there at some point in their lives I guess. Especially if you were an undergrad in Siegen... ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Awitt
987472.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote

I went as a 7-8 year old, and remember that my mum had a bottle of 'eau de Cologne'.

suze
987543.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
I've been what? To Cologne? Why yes... Most Germans make it there at some point in their lives I guess.

Even I have been through Cologne a couple of times!

The first thing I noted upon going there for the first time was how jolly convenient it was that they built the cathedral right next to the railway station ...!

AlmondFacialBar
987546.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:43 am Reply with quote

You wouldn't believe how many people say that and are actually serious about it...

AlmondFacialBar

germananglophile
987641.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:29 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
You wouldn't believe how many people say that and are actually serious about it...

AlmondFacialBar

Sad, but amusingly true. :D

'Most Germans make it there at some point in their lives' you say? And here I thought you were Irish, because of what you wrote in your profile. :)

AlmondFacialBar
987658.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am Reply with quote

germananglophile wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:

AlmondFacialBar

Sad, but amusingly true. :D

'Most Germans make it there at some point in their lives' you say? And here I thought you were Irish, because of what you wrote in your profile. :)

Ex-pat, just like you. ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2