View previous topic | View next topic

QI with K spells "KI"

Page 1 of 1

germananglophile
985713.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:26 pm Reply with quote

something that I found interesting: "KI" according to my dictionary is an alternate spelling of "QI", the Chinese 22nd letter "CHI"

CB27
985741.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:45 pm Reply with quote

My guess is that the Ki spelling is probably more of a Korean variant of spelling than a proper alternative. When you listen to Korean as compared to Chinese or Japanese, they often sound as if they put more emphasis on hard consonents like K.

germananglophile
985802.  Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:18 pm Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
My guess is that the Ki spelling is probably more of a Korean variant of spelling than a proper alternative. When you listen to Korean as compared to Chinese or Japanese, they often sound as if they put more emphasis on hard consonents like K.

Huh, interesting thought. I think I might ask my Korean co-worker friends during lunch tomorrow. Which reminds me of another K-word - Kimchi. :D

lord lucan
1008808.  Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote

I have made studies of the Chinese internal martial arts and have never seen Chi spelled KI, though it appears spelled like that often in Japanese texts such as in Aikido broken down it is Ai 'joining or unifying' Ki 'universal energy'(Chi) Do 'The way' (Dao/Tao in Chinese).

Jenny
1008810.  Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Welcome lord lucan :-)

Troux
1008823.  Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote

Correct, my lord. Ki is the way the Japanese pronounce/romanize the same Chinese word, qi.

Random, barely related factoid:
We use the Japanese word, 'ramen', which just means Chinese noodles.

Page 1 of 1