View previous topic | View next topic

Donkeys

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

eggshaped
63756.  Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:10 am Reply with quote

Quote:
"A donkey is like a housewife. In fact, the donkey is a shade better, for while the housewife may sometimes complain and walk off to her parents' home, you'll never catch the donkey being disloyal to his master,"

Rajasthani school text book.

Source.

eggshaped
141409.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

Almost a year ago,

Matc wrote:
Quote:
“Who remembers the Blondin Donkey, the lauded tightrope-walking mule of the 1880s?”

Source: ‘Inventing the Victorians’ by Matthew Sweet (Faber, 2001).

No-one, according to google, and Sweet gives no further information. Can anyone find anything? I’d love to know more about a tightrope-walking mule.

I fear this may not be as exciting as you expected Mat.

Here's a poster describing the Blondin Donkey

OK, so far, but you'll notice that as well as sharing a bill with Will Oliver, "The thin comedian and popular favourite", an act called "The Bros. Griffiths" appear.

Sadly, this site gives a little more info about the Griffithseses and the Blondin Donkey:

Quote:
Brothers Griffiths: They performed a variety and pantomime act “The Blondin Donkey Act”, with the brothers who performed as “skin” or animal artistes.

I'm sure you all know, being well versed in affairs of the big top, that "skin artistes" are what "back-ends of a pantomime cow" write on their CVs.

So it seems that the Blondin Donkey was actually a pair of gymnasts, dressed in a pantomime donkey suit, who walked across a tightrope. A decent trick, but hardly in the same league as Nero's funambulating pachyderms.

Flash
141480.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote

That is one classy piece of research. What about the Blondin Horse, though? Not as good as the Donkey, I've heard, put perhaps more equine?

GH Chirgwin the White-Eyed Musical Kaffir should be approached immediately as a potential panellist.

MatC
141495.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:36 am Reply with quote

Nice stuff, Egg! What a shame, though.

If you can't get Chirgwin, Flash, is GH Elliott still working?

Flash
141656.  Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:10 pm Reply with quote

The Chocolate-Coloured Coon, you mean? Do you know, I haven't seen him around lately. I'll ask.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2