View previous topic | View next topic

Koro - Where has my penis gone?

Page 1 of 1

Morbid Blonde
981674.  Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:19 am Reply with quote

Last night at my museum we had a curious event called 'The Carnival of Lost Emotions' which addressed emotions we can describe but we may not have a specific word for. One of those emotions was 'Koro' and I did a little digging to find out more. 'Digging' may in fact be more apt than I realised because it turns out that koro is "..a culture-specific syndrome in which an individual has an overpowering belief that his or her genitals (e.g., penis or female nipples) are retracting and will disappear.." (according to Wiipedia). I learned further down the page that it caused sufferers to try to prevent this retraction via mechanical means (which had me wondering if perhaps there is a market for a device I could invent and achieve Dyson-esque fame and fortune with?) It's recognised in Traditional Chinese Medicine as a sexual disease and seems to be more prevalent in the East although I have to say my Western boyfriend certainly suffers from this syndrome when he uses any Mint showergel as he says it makes him 'tingle' and 'makes it go in'...

'yorz
981681.  Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 am Reply with quote

Howdy, Morbid Blonde. Welcome here. :-)
That Wikipage taught me the word nosophobia. Intriguing.

CB27
981708.  Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:01 am Reply with quote

A big welcome!

Oh, hang on a second, where's it gone?

OK, just a little welcome now...

:)

Jenny
981748.  Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote

Welcome Morbid Blonde :-)

Morbid Blonde
984468.  Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote

Thank you for all the 'welcomes' - glad to be here!

Page 1 of 1