View previous topic | View next topic

What types of migrating birds do you get in your area?

Page 1 of 1

Nanoose
979455.  Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:37 am Reply with quote

Yesterday I seen the first Humming bird of the season. There a pretty cool little bird but they only stay here about 4 months. Vancouver Island gets a lot of migrating birds some migrate here for the winter like a couple types of owls (I never get to see them but do hear them its a pretty cool sound). Some birds just use Vancouver Island as a pit stop but still nice seeing them. Cheers!

bemahan
979467.  Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:28 am Reply with quote

We had some waxwings in our area recently. My husband is 'into' birdwatching and heard there were some locally so dragged me off to see them. I'm glad he did. I was surprised by how many people had come specially to see them.

Nanoose
979469.  Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:33 am Reply with quote

bemahan wrote:
We had some waxwings in our area recently. My husband is 'into' birdwatching and heard there were some locally so dragged me off to see them. I'm glad he did. I was surprised by how many people had come specially to see them.

I'm glad your husband dragged you off too that's a nice looking bird it looks a bit like a Stealer Jay. Cheers!

Oceans Edge
979477.  Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:47 am Reply with quote

we get a pretty good selection of birds around here..

http://www.seascapecottages.ca/birdwatching.cfm
has a good list of the sorts of birds we get here on the east coast

Nanoose
979595.  Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 pm Reply with quote

Oceans Edge wrote:
we get a pretty good selection of birds around here..

http://www.seascapecottages.ca/birdwatching.cfm
has a good list of the sorts of birds we get here on the east coast

Lots of birds in your area it was also nice seeing what a bit of the landscape looks like in your area. Cheers!

Alfred E Neuman
979609.  Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:54 am Reply with quote

My favourite visitors are the Steppe Buzzards. We also get quite a variety of swallows, which are quite spectacular when they start congregating in preparation for heading back, but there's still something cool about raptors.

Dix
1272943.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:04 am Reply with quote

This thread seemed the most appropriate place to post

Common Redpoll, Acanthis flammea.
This little guy (or gal) has just set a record.

6.953 km migration China - Denmark (in Danish)

'yorz
1272949.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote

What are the odds that such small birds live to tell the tale of their Odyssey?

AlmondFacialBar
1272979.  Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:27 am Reply with quote

For the common red poll it's apparently 41% year on year. Given the annual survival rates of some migratory birds I'd have thought it much higher than that.

I mean, check out the Arctic tern for size. Your local breeding population of them travels up to 90,000 kms a year, the species travels about 71,000 kms on average, and yet it has an annual survival rate of 82%.

Either they have serious superpowers or the common red poll is an underachiever... ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Page 1 of 1