View previous topic | View next topic

Fond memories of a deceased pet:

Page 1 of 1

Nanoose
978467.  Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 pm Reply with quote

My wife, our dog Sundance and I used to have a comedy act that we performed for our Christmas guests. When our guests arrived we would all sit at the kitchen table for Christmas cookies and tea or coffee. Eventually I would get up and say I was going to go have a look at the Christmas presents that Grandma sent.
That was my wife's Q to give Sundance a hand signal to sit by her and then she would warn me not to peek inside the Christmas presents. Then I would go into a part of the front room that the Christmas guests couldn't see and place a prop Christmas present over my head then I would step out and say ah man I just had to peek now it's stuck on my head then I would pretend to try and pull the present off. Then I would say ah man my eyes are starting to get itchy Grandma must of sent me wool socks again. Then I would say help me Sundance which was his Q to charge over and try to ripe the present off my head. Eventually I would let him pull the present off and he would ripe it into a million pieces (RIP Sundance). Cheers!

'yorz
978479.  Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote

You'll have opened the floodgates, Nanoose. Expect quite a few offerings :-)
Over time I have posted many stories and quite a few pictures of my little Highland Haggis Retriever called Eeyore. He is no longer, but my QI name is an abbreviation of his (it used to be eeyoresmum, but it got shortened by fellow-forummers :-)
He was big buddies with a pheasant I called Donald - the bird would regularly land in our garden and peck on the kitchen window, demanding his special birdseed. Eeyore would insist on having his share as well, so the two sat brotherly next to each other on the top stone step in the garden, munching away.

Nanoose
978632.  Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
You'll have opened the floodgates, Nanoose. Expect quite a few offerings :-)
Over time I have posted many stories and quite a few pictures of my little Highland Haggis Retriever called Eeyore. He is no longer, but my QI name is an abbreviation of his (it used to be eeyoresmum, but it got shortened by fellow-forummers :-)
He was big buddies with a pheasant I called Donald - the bird would regularly land in our garden and peck on the kitchen window, demanding his special birdseed. Eeyore would insist on having his share as well, so the two sat brotherly next to each other on the top stone step in the garden, munching away.

That's really something like a bird and a dog are as different as night and day but yet they became friends. Was wondering what would of brought them together maybe the bird had a song the dog enjoyed or the dog chased a cat away from the birds nest. Maybe it was even a reincarnation thing they were both the same type of creature in a past life so they became friends again in this life time despite there differences. Cheers!

'yorz
978638.  Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote

No - we used to have hens as well, who'd have the run of the garden at times. Eeyore was in awe of them (they were big'uns). As Donald was less imposing, and didn't really took notice of him - food was more important - and Eeyore was jealous of the attention - they were very comfortable in each other's company. He would also lie happily on the grass, birds picking away next to him. The only kind he couldn't stand were crows. He'd go for them.
I do miss the little sod.

This is the thread dedicated to his last week.

Edit - read through the thread and that was me finished of course.

Nanoose
978751.  Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:32 pm Reply with quote

Thought I would add another fond memory of Sundance. When we brought Sundance home as a 6 month old puppy we also had a 2
year old male cat that hated Sundance from the first glance. The cat would hiss and claw at Sundance ever time he walked by and sometimes the cat would even run across the room to to slash at him.
I had always considered myself as a bit of a Doctor Dolittle but there was nothing I could say to that cat to get it to leave Sundance alone. Sundance grew to be about to be about 90 pounds but he feared that cat until he was about 2 when one day he walked by the cat and the cat ran in front of him and started hissing and slashing then in a flash he grabbed the cat by the mid section and started bringing his head up to give the cat a death chomp. But luckily I thought fast and said drop it and Sundance lowered his head opened his mouth and the cat hit the ground running with nothing hurt but it's pride.
What I think is cool is after that Sundance didn't start picking on the cat because he knew he was
the tuff one he just minded his business. Cheers!

'yorz
978768.  Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:22 am Reply with quote

Can you post a picture of Sundance, Nanoose?
One special dog that was :-)

AlmondFacialBar
978793.  Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
No - we used to have hens as well, who'd have the run of the garden at times. Eeyore was in awe of them (they were big'uns). As Donald was less imposing, and didn't really took notice of him - food was more important - and Eeyore was jealous of the attention - they were very comfortable in each other's company. He would also lie happily on the grass, birds picking away next to him. The only kind he couldn't stand were crows. He'd go for them.
I do miss the little sod.

This is the thread dedicated to his last week.

Edit - read through the thread and that was me finished of course.

There must have been Border Collie in him. Every Border Collie I've ever met has had an ingrained hatred of crows. I could actually imagine that being bred into them because crows are thought to injure lambs, so obviously it would be a good idea for a sheep dog to want to get rid of them.

As for unlikely interspecies friendships, Katze was friends with next door's pet bunny. As she was a tiny squirt of a cat, weighing in at about 5 1/2 lbs for most of her adulthood, and Hoppel was a German Giant almost twice her size I guess he was too big to fit her prey scheme, and so they played together and raced each other up and down the footpath beside our back garden.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Nanoose
978996.  Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Can you post a picture of Sundance, Nanoose?
One special dog that was :-)

I do have a photo of Sundance but it's on another Forum.
There is also a story about the time I had to find a good home for one of Sundances pup's and how that pup changed some one's life. Cheers!

http://misfitsandfools.freeforums.net/index.cgi?board=pets&action=display&thread=3

'yorz
979001.  Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:38 pm Reply with quote

Thanks, Nanoose. What a lovely story. And what a beautiful dog Sundance was. Regal. :-)

Nanoose
979355.  Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Thought I would add a fond memory that I wish I never had.
One day years ago we noticed we hadn't seen Sundance in a few hours then he didn't show up to go in the house for the night. He wasn't around in the morning then a week went by then a couple more weeks. We were really getting worried that a cougar got him. But one morning my wife looked out the window to see how much snow fell over night and I heard her say - Sundance and there was Sundancse laying one the deck in a 2 foot of snow. Seeing how happy my wife was and seeing Sundance's waggly tail going a million miles an hour when he seen us was the fondest memory I'll ever have of a pet But when we got Sundance in the house we started noticing how skinny he was and that all of his paws were raw and bleeding.
A few weeks after that I found out that I guy I had fired for repeatedly drinking alcohol on the job had stolen Sundance and took him for a long ride. The more I thought about it the madder I got like Sundaces was gone 28 days when the guy took him there was a bit of snow on the ground and a few days after that the snow started piling up to 2-3 feet so ever step Sundance took to get home was hard. We even figured the guy kicked Sundance a few times because Sundance had some big bumps and tender spots. Eventually I snapped and went and had a "talk" with the guy and I kept talking until I was convinced he would never touch my dog again. Cheers!

Nanoose
979356.  Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:00 pm Reply with quote

Thought I should add a happier memory.
We used to have a milking goat called Mela.
Mela and I had a game called ring around the pickup truck. I would chase Mela around the pickup truck then she would slow down and let me pass her then she would chase me around the pick up truck. We kept switching back and forth like that till one of us dropped from exhaustion. Which was always me - if it wasn't a game there would be no way I could of kept up with mela she could run fast and long. She was also real strong she was probably only 50 pounds but she bent or broke a lot of things I had her tethered to.
She was a real gentle creature she would eat out of hands and follow us around. I miss her and I miss the milk we got from her. Mela died of old age but she was as healthy as a hoarse till that day. Cheers!

Page 1 of 1