View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic 'blade runner' Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend

Page 13 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Alfred E Neuman
1095023.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote

I'm with djg on this one. Calling a Supreme Court judge a prostitute doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent.

CharliesDragon
1095028.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote

I'm also curious if the choice of "prostitute" instead of other degrading names is because the judge is a woman.

As for the case itself, I think Pistorious will never make it back to professional sports, since the shadow of this will follow him. Mind, I've never had much interest in sports and don't know if similar things have happened to others and they've managed to shake it off.

Alfred E Neuman
1095030.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote

I don't think we should assume that he has got off without a jail sentence yet. He will only be sentenced on the 13th of October, and I have a feeling it will be closer to the 15 years maximum sentence than the slap on the wrist that much of the hype that he "walked away" implies.

'yorz
1095031.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote

The expression 'media whore' is an established one, can be used for both genders, and does not imply earning your living horizontally.

Alfred E Neuman
1095032.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote

The word "prostitute" also means "to devote to corrupt or unworthy purposes" according to the Merrium-Webster dictionary.

'yorz
1095040.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote

Take your pick. :-)

tetsabb
1095048.  Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Jenny
1095134.  Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote

Would a male judge who performed an action bobwilson disagreed with be called a prostitute?

To prostitute - the verb - can reasonably be held to be understood in the Merriam-Webster definition.

A prostitute - the noun - is not the same as a 'media whore' because it is not qualified in the same way by an adjective. A media whore is somebody who uses the media indiscriminately for gain. A prostitute is somebody who sells their sexual favours.

So what we have is a sloppy and inaccurate use of language. I suggest that bobwilson rethinks and edits the relevant section of his post to avoid making libellous statements, and I suggest that people who feel that their quoting of the remark may perpetuate this false statement consider editing their post to avoid that issue. I will revisit this thread in a day or two and delete anything I think is legally problematic.

filofax
1095225.  Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Would a male judge who performed an action bobwilson disagreed with be called a prostitute?

Why not? Male prostitutes exist.
Not that I agree with bobwilson's sentiment, but I don't think this is a gender issue.

Alfred E Neuman
1160982.  Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote

The Supreme Court of Appeal has changed Oscar's conviction from culpable homicide to murder, and sent the case back to the trial court for re-sentencing. A conviction for murder carries a fifteen year minimum sentence, so one must assume he will be back in jail at some point.

Zziggy
1160984.  Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote

Yes, the BBC says he "will be back behind bars, less than two months after he was placed under house arrest".

The reason they've given, I agree with. I never understood quite why it was a valid defence to say "well yeah I totally tried to kill somebody, and succeeded, but it wasn't who you think it was!"

bemahan
1160990.  Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:18 am Reply with quote

I'm a bit grumpy that he's going to be allowed to have Christmas at home, even if he is on house arrest. I do hope someone lets Santa know so he doesn't get shot as he comes down the chimney.
🎅🔫😱

Alfred E Neuman
1160997.  Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 am Reply with quote

I thought the SCA could just have done the re-sentencing themselves, but they're probably right in saying that the original trial court has the ability to do that. I don't know when it will be fitted in though, court dates are booked up quite a bit in advance around here.

bemahan
1160998.  Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote

Oh, no! Should I be worrying about the Easter Bunny as well as Santa?

Alfred E Neuman
1161001.  Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote

My guess is that it'll be done around Easter bunny time. I don't know if they need new arguments in mitigation now that the the court is considering a far more serious crime, but it would not surprise me if that's the next step. I'd be surprised if he gets more that the minimum of fifteen years though, as it wasn't pre-meditated.

Page 13 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next