View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic 'blade runner' Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend

Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Awitt
972833.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote

after mistaking her for a burglar - or so the early reports claim.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/16142183/runner-pistorius-charged-with-girlfriends-murder/

AlmondFacialBar
972837.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:32 pm Reply with quote

Old news, the burglar claim has been withdrawn and he's been charged with murder. :-( There's another role model going down in flames...

-)

AlmondFacialBar

CB27
972882.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote

I was very surprised at the speed with which he was charged with murder. Usually, at such an early stage, you'd expect him to have been arrested on suspicion of murder, but not yet charged.

I don't know Mr Pistorius, and from reports I've seen from people who knew him, it's a surprise that he might have done this on purpose, but he is known to also be proud of his guns, going so far as to take a journalist who was interviewing him to a gun range.

What got to me from seeing the early reports is that these people were living in a gated community with armed security, yet still felt the need to have at least two guns that I heard about, plus a baseball bat in case of any violent break in, and a high spec security system. And this all seems like a normal way of life for many people in South Africa (and in the US).

Then you go back to the gun control debate that has been doing the rounds in another thread (and plenty of other sites, TV, and elsewhere), and one of the examples that certain people use to show that the UK is not right to have tight gun control is the misleading report in the Daily Wail from a few years ago, which the Tory opposition at the time jumped on, which suggested that violent crime in the UK was worse than the US and South Africa.

It's disgusting that innocent people have to continue dying for this "right" that people demand to own guns with very little control. The irony is that there is more control in SA than in the US, it's just not regulated very well.

Neotenic
972901.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
I was very surprised at the speed with which he was charged with murder. Usually, at such an early stage, you'd expect him to have been arrested on suspicion of murder, but not yet charged.

My assumption there is that he has confessed. That would expedite the process somewhat. It's probably just a matter now of making sure the physical evidence corroborates his story.

bobwilson
972916.  Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote

One death - tragedy. One million deaths - statistic. One death involving a sleb - money to be made for lawyers, TV producers, dramatists.

Expect an early showing from "news" channels cashing in.

tetsabb
972966.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:24 am Reply with quote

In a way I feel sorry for the guy -- like so many sports people/politicians/business people, he must have lived in a bit of a bubble, encouraged to believe in his own infallibility.
However, when he was beaten in one race in the Paralympics, he had an outburst shortly afterwards in which he accused the victor of cheating. He did apologise later, but at the time I remember thinking that he appeared to have a nasty side to him, and one would not want to be on the receiving end.
It's a real shame that someone who has done so much to raise the profile of paralympic sport both in his own country and worldwide should come crashing down so hard.

AlmondFacialBar
972971.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:34 am Reply with quote

Given the way a fair few sporting heroes have come crashing down over the past few years I can't help but think that professional sport does bad things to people's heads. High competitiveness + success + possible steroid use = not a good combination... :-(

Still, this is sad and tragic in a lot of ways, not least because a society as divided as South Africa probably needs heroes more than any other.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

tetsabb
973054.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
High competitiveness + success + possible steroid use = not a good combination... :-(
Still, this is sad and tragic in a lot of ways, not least because a society as divided as South Africa probably needs heroes more than any other.

Plus in the combination -- MONEY!!!!!
SA seems to get more than its fair share of controversial sporting heroes -- Hansie Cronje, and of course more recently, Caster Semenya.

AlmondFacialBar
973072.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:24 am Reply with quote

And, indeed, money...

AlmondFacialBar

CB27
973090.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:50 am Reply with quote

Did I hear right that one of his weapons was a machine gun???

How can anyone justify having a machine gun in their home?

Much as I wrote last year that I thought he was a sore loser when he made some silly accusations, being a sore loser doesn't make someone violent or dangerous. The reactions from people who actually knew him is telling in that no one would have suspected him of carrying out this act. Unfortunately that's going to make reporting on this case even more "interesting" for many people.

My heart goe out to the family of Ms Steenkamp, as it does for the families of all victims, and I just hope she's not forgotten in the circus that will follow.

AlmondFacialBar
973097.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:59 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
Did I hear right that one of his weapons was a machine gun???

How can anyone justify having a machine gun in their home?

I once had to cover court proceedings against a guy who kept an AK47 complete with ammo in his broom cupboard... *shrug* Gift from a buddy apparently. Given that that was in Germany, however, it was at least illegal and he was prosecuted. In the US you can buy legally an M16 (cos that's what the Bushmaster is) at your local supermarket, and people do. As it seems that SA weapons legislation is stricter than in the States but weakly policed it'll be interesting to see if this case spurs the law enforcent agencies into action.

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
973120.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Given the way a fair few sporting heroes have come crashing down over the past few years I can't help but think that professional sport does bad things to people's heads. High competitiveness + success + possible steroid use = not a good combination... :-(

Perhaps it's because people make heros out of them. Some who is good at running is...err...good at running. He may be a saint or an axe-murderer, but the public decide to make them saints and then accuse them of betrayal at the first weilding of the axe. Heros are created by worshipers, not by the candidates themselves.

I hugely admire Michael Schumacher's driving abilities (as seen before his first retirement). I don't actually like him much as a person, but that doesn't affect my admiration for his driving skills. I don't assume he always calls his gran every sunday, works tirelessly in a refuge for single-parent donkeys runs soup kitchens for redundant horse slaughterers. As a driver he is a livging god, but as a person he may be anything from a paragon to a complete dick - I neither know nor care.

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
973134.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:51 am Reply with quote

People make heroes out of them because they feel a need to have them, simple as that. If they're actually wonderful people in real life doesn't seem to make much of a difference in the process.

AlmondFacialBar

Zebra57
973147.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 am Reply with quote

Neotenic wrote:
Quote:

My assumption there is that he has confessed. That would expedite the process somewhat. It's probably just a matter now of making sure the physical evidence corroborates his story.

On the radio some person in very bad taste said that he would plead guilty as his case would collapse, as he hadn't a leg to stand on.

franticllama
973154.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:18 am Reply with quote

CB27 wrote:
What got to me from seeing the early reports is that these people were living in a gated community with armed security, yet still felt the need to have at least two guns that I heard about, plus a baseball bat in case of any violent break in, and a high spec security system. And this all seems like a normal way of life for many people in South Africa (and in the US).

I grew up in South Africa and my gran gave me a gun when I was 13. She had kept it in her biscuit tin, just in case, for years. She then got broken into 6 times in 6 months and in the last instance they badly beat up my uncle (who is severely disabled). Following these instances she decided to move and that she had no use for a gun. I'm not entirely sure I followed her logic in then giving the gun to me, but I didn't question it at the time. I'm (now) even more astounded that my parents let me keep it.

Unfortunately gun ownership and violent crime are pretty prevalent in SA and I get the feeling that until something is done about the high crime rates and (general) lack of consistently good response from the police its going to be rather difficult to do much about the high rate of gun ownership.

Page 1 of 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next