View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic 'blade runner' Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend

Page 2 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

CB27
973168.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:41 am Reply with quote

My astonishment is that it seems normal to some people, though I'm not too surprised at the fact some people feel they need to live like this in SA as I have lots of Saffie friends and know the problems there.

Years ago I used to tell people a story about some news I'd just heard and by the reaction of people you could tell who was Saffie (especially from places like Jo'burg), and who wasn't.

It was about an incident in a petrol station at a suburb, and at this point you had to explain to people that it was normal for people to drive up and sit in their car with the doors locked while someone came and filled up their tank because everyone was wary of being carjacked, and you paid through the window.

In this particular incident the guy filling up the tank didn't realise it wasn't that empty and he got a huge splashback of petrol up his arm. Unfortunately, at that particular moment the driver, who was smoking in his car, flicked his cigarette out and it ignited the petrol on the guy's arm.

Luckily, there was a local security van nearby and they rushed over with blankets and fire extinguishers to try and put the flames out. At this point I again have to explain that a lot of suburban neighbourhoods hire security companies which drive around with armed security and various equipment, as they cannot rely on the police.

Despite their best efforts, the flames weren't going out, and the guy was screaming in pain and waving his arm up and down trying to extinguish the flames somehow, when the captain of the security van took out his gun and shot him in the head.

At this point I would get at least one or more people with shocked faces asking "what did he do that for???"

I'd shrug my shoulders and say "Well, he was waving a firearm around".

I got a lot of annoyed reactions from non Saffies for that one :)

Neotenic
973182.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 pm Reply with quote

Well, I see my theory is blown out of the water, as Oscar has denied the charges.

I'm guessing the legal objection to them revolves around the 'premeditated' aspect, and they may be looking to plea-bargain that down.

If, as some seem to suggest, the couple were arguing prior to the shooting, then I suppose it's possible it was a 'red mist' moment, and he acted tremendously rashly and impulsively, which may be enough to negate a claim of premeditation. Although quite why the weapon was in a position to be used by someone feeling rash and impulsive is another question that will need a very good answer.

With everything else, I do wonder if a damaged ego is at least partially to blame - right up to London 2012, he was the poster boy for amputee athletes - but the events of the games, both in 'only' getting the silver (and being rather less than gracious in defeat) and a middling performance in the main Olympics may have told him that his time at the very top of that particular tree was drawing to a close.

Starfish13
973192.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote

I couldn't justify the need for an individual to own a "machine gun" and don't agree with having a firearm for personal defence, even in a society with the level of violent crime that South Africa has.

However I can see how Pistorius may have felt vulnerable enough to need to have a weapon to hand, even in a gated housing estate with on-call security, if this is a common fear among South Africans. Although we only ever see him as a top athlete and a healthy individual, despite his disability, there will be times where he will be without his prostheses, and disadvantaged and/or incapacitated as a result. In the middle of the night, while in bed/sleeping one of the these scenarios. I suspect that may raise the thought that the perceived vulnerability of that situation can be compensated for by access to a weapon for self defence.

However, this is something we can't do anything other than speculate on.

tetsabb
973200.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote

Just back froma brief visit to the local town, during which OP came up in conversation with the lady in the book shop. We were discussing how humans have the capacity to do briiiliant stuff, immediately followed by something dumb.
She said "This really is a feet-of-clay moment, isn't it?"
To which I said that that was perhaps not the most appropriate choice of phrase, with a big grin on both our faces!

'yorz
973210.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:31 pm Reply with quote

Good point, Starfish. I had thoughts along these lines, too.

AlmondFacialBar
973217.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 pm Reply with quote

What she said...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Neotenic
973320.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:47 pm Reply with quote

I think the 'vulnerability' argument would carry a bit more weight had the victim not been shot four times.

CB27
973322.  Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote

I'm not defending vulnerability or any possible claims this was a mistaken identity, etc, but if you have a semi automatic in your hand and you're either nervous or scared, and you have experienced firing this gun before, putting 4 rounds in quick succession is not a big surprise, and is more likely than a single shot.

Posital
973511.  Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote

In a strange way, I hope this improves the image of our "less-abled" friends. In that it demonstrates that being a bit mental with a gun is possible for all people - regardless of ability (or sleb-rity).

Undermining NRA arguments in to the bargain.

PDR
973522.  Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:31 pm Reply with quote

Well the NRA have always been fairly even-handed in that respect. They have gone to extreme pains to suggest that guns are no more dangerous than blades...

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
973536.  Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
In a strange way, I hope this improves the image of our "less-abled" friends. In that it demonstrates that being a bit mental with a gun is possible for all people - regardless of ability (or sleb-rity).

Undermining NRA arguments in to the bargain.

I believe the current PC is handicapable, which boggles the mind on a multitude of levels...

AlmondFacialBar

dr.bob
973936.  Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 am Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on The Last Leg on Channel 4 on Friday night when they discussed whether or not Pistorius would be allowed to keep his prostheses whilst in jail.

Apparently, it's possible to confiscate them if necessary since a false leg could be used as a fairly hefty weapon (either by the wearer, or someone attacking them).

Cue lots of remarks about whether or not prisons have disabled access.

AlmondFacialBar
973949.  Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:09 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Interesting discussion on The Last Leg on Channel 4 on Friday night when they discussed whether or not Pistorius would be allowed to keep his prostheses whilst in jail.

Apparently, it's possible to confiscate them if necessary since a false leg could be used as a fairly hefty weapon (either by the wearer, or someone attacking them).

I'd been wondering about that myself. Prob is - being without them would leave him very vulnerable indeed. Hm...

AlmondFacialBar

dr.bob
973951.  Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:13 am Reply with quote

The conclusion they drew on the show was that there are no fixed rules and the decision is taken on a case-by-case basis.

barbados
974002.  Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

And from this you only picked up on disabled access in prions?

Page 2 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next