View previous topic | View next topic

Olympic 'blade runner' Oscar Pistorius shoots girlfriend

Page 10 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

PDR
975667.  Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:22 am Reply with quote

Well that's rather for a court to decide, barby.

On (2), I wouldn't accept that as an absolute. Many civilians who find themselves suddenly having to use a gun in self-defence will keep pulling the trigger until the magazine is empty - only a professional uses the minimum number of aimed shots. In fact the use of four shots could tend to support (rather than refute) his claim that he was panic'd and in fear of his life.

On (3 & 4), he claims he was firing at an intruder who had gone into t he bathroom and locked the door. He wanted to disable the intruder, but had no direct sight of him/her so firing a general spread through the door doesn't necessarily mean he was aiming to kill. Again, a "pro" might wait until there was a good shot, but this could also support his claim that he was panic'd into doing something rather than following a planned and considered course of action.

But as we were discussing this in the context of a libel suit - remember that [in the UK] libel can tend to invert the burden of proof so that the defence will have to show good reason for believing the remarks to be true rather than the plaintiff proving them to be false.

PDR

Jenny
975760.  Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote

Just on a technical point - I prefer to avoid even the potential of legal action as far as this forum is concerned, even if it means going further over the top in my caution than I would be personally inclined to do.

CB27
975833.  Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Finally someone bothered to report about Ms Steenkamp's family's reaction. I was beginning to think she'd been forgotten in all of this.

Awitt
976220.  Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:29 am Reply with quote

Now Oscar's brother has been charged over a homicide from a car accident in 2010. Carl's trial was supposed to start on Thursday, the same day when Oscar was freed on bail.

Alfred E Neuman
976231.  Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:46 am Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
Now Oscar's brother has been charged over a homicide from a car accident in 2010. Carl's trial was supposed to start on Thursday, the same day when Oscar was freed on bail.

Bloody hell, it's like the wild west...

djgordy
976275.  Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:25 am Reply with quote

...apart from the thing about the car accident; of which there were surprisingly few in the wild west.

PDR
976309.  Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote

Au contraire they were quite common, but they almost all involved railroad cars rather than automobiles...

PDR

Alfred E Neuman
977015.  Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm Reply with quote

CB27
977034.  Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm Reply with quote

Going back to the comment about the Wild West, it's worth noting that gun controls in towns in the old West were far tougher than anything you usually find in the US today, and that gun crime was actually quite low as a result.

Neotenic
980660.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote

It is interesting to note the emerging reports (or rather, the 'trailer for upcoming documentary masquerading as a news report', but that's another story in itself) that Oscar is already having to resort to selling his possessions to fund his defence.

It is, I think, quite telling that an individual with a cumulative set of sponsorship deals that were earning him seven figure sums every year is already having to employ desperate measures to meet the inevitably rapacious bills that stem from retaining a top-flight legal team.

Reading about this, I was also reminded of a recent story about the alarming proportion of professional footballers that end up filing for bankruptcy, and I suppose there are similar root causes.

The perennial justification for the phone-number sums that pro sports people can earn is that, in the main, their capacity for earning is squeezed into a really very short time-window indeed - which would be perfectly fine if the natural tendency for someone young who comes into significant amounts of money wasn't to spend every penny as fast as humanly possible.

Oscar was a sponsor's dream - but sponsors are flighty, at best, and his earning potential evaporated almost as fast as the bullets leaving the chamber of his gun. Even if he is found not guilty of pre-meditated murder, his career as a sportsman, and certainly as a poster boy for triumph over adversity, are well and truly over.

God only knows what he is going to do to earn a living now, especially in the unlikely event of him retaining his liberty.

PDR
980662.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:27 am Reply with quote

So he's having trouble footing the bills...

PDR

CB27
980692.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 am Reply with quote

I find it sad that consideration is being made to allow him to travel overseas because "he is not a flight risk".

I'm guessing that the vast majority of people who are charged with firearm murder of their partner in their own home are not given bail so quickly and easily, and fewer still could consider asking to be allowed to go abroad.

Awitt
980763.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Most (western, that I know of) countries don't grant passports to criminals, or it's a huge effort to do so.

Oceans Edge
980776.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:43 pm Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:
Most (western, that I know of) countries don't grant passports to criminals, or it's a huge effort to do so.

I can only presume that as an international sports figure he already has a passport, and it remains valid until it expires. The that's why courts when granting bail to a suspected flight risk will ask them to surrender it.

Now an entry visa OTOH...

PDR
980853.  Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Awitt wrote:

I do hate to be pedantic - but at this moment he may be *accused* of a crime, but he is not a convicted criminal, so that wouldn't apply.

PDR

Page 10 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next