View previous topic | View next topic

Same name of a town, different country

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

14-11-2014
1105819.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Exactly the same name of an official town (which you would be able to find when you're there, so no 3 farms called Condom, without any sign), but a different country.

Meppen (the Netherlands) to Meppen (Germany): 48.5 km by car, according to Google Maps. Less than 40 km when the border of Meppen is used, but let's not cheat and use Google Maps' default.

I expect that 48.5 km can be improved, because Meppen is almost a random example, and I'm expecting it can be close to 0.1 km. Any suggestions?

vanjeet
1105826.  Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote

What about two towns with the same name in the same country?
In India, we have a Santa Cruz in Goa as well as a Santa Cruz in the neighbouring state of Maharashtra. Driving distance, however, is 586 km. I

This seems to be a common name, because there are many places named Santa Cruz (especially in South America). Anybody want to do the math on all those places.

WordLover
1105836.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:26 am Reply with quote

Rafah, Egypt and Rafah, Gaza Strip.

vanjeet wrote:
What about two towns with the same name in the same country?
If that's allowed, Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas.

vanjeet
1105837.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote

I think 14-11-2014 (if that's your real name.....) was trying to get at finding the closest places that are named the same.

14-11-2014
1105935.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote

vanjeet wrote:
finding the closest places that are named the same.

Of course, thank you. Sydney, Nova Scotia and Sydney, Australia isn't an improvement close to 0.1 km. This won't confuse most satnav-users. There are a lot of places with the same name, even in the same country.

Meppen was used as an example by people discussing highway traffic signs. They were trying to find out what the best way would be to clearly distinguish between "Meppen 25 km" and Meppen (D) 25 km".

14-11-2014
1105945.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote

vanjeet wrote:
Driving distance, however, is 586 km.

Official towns (i.e not a local name of one road, two fields and three farms), but the same country: Hengelo, Overijssel and Hengelo, Gelderland, 47.8 km by car.

The Dutch government wants to merge provinces (but without introducing Holland again, by merging North-Holland and South-Holland). If the government would continue with the mergers, then there will be two towns with the same name, Hengelo, in the same new (purple) province.

Any new province can also become the 4th province of Urk (a former island), no matter which super province the community of Urk will finally prefer. Urk did belong to North-Holland (Amsterdam), Overijssel, and now it belongs to Flevoland. And possibly, by choice, a new super province. The culture of a (former) island: UrKIP.

Last edited by 14-11-2014 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total

CharliesDragon
1105946.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote

There are two waters (small lakes) not far from my grandparents that have the same name. My grandmother almost became angry insisting it was west* of a larger lake because she's been up there until my grandfather clarified by saying there are two of them.

*) Or east or north or south... Some direction.

14-11-2014
1105951.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote

CharliesDragon wrote:
There are two waters (small lakes) not far from my grandparents that have the same name.

An unexpected one! I'm willing to allow lakes too, ignoring different countries again, as long as the identical name of the lakes isn't just a local name.

There are different rivers in the same country with the same name, but you cannot find the Rhine in Alphen aan de Rijn. The official name of their local river will be the Old Rhine, one of the borders of the Roman Empire.

WordLover
1105959.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:29 am Reply with quote

14-11-2014 wrote:
CharliesDragon wrote:
There are two waters (small lakes) not far from my grandparents that have the same name.

An unexpected one! I'm willing to allow lakes too, ignoring different countries again, as long as the identical name of the lakes isn't just a local name.

There are different rivers in the same country with the same name
For example, the two River Yars on the Isle of Wight, the western Yar and the eastern Yar. Or does the fact that people distinguish between them by adding an adjective disqualify this pair of rivers?

suze
1105986.  Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote

WordLover wrote:
Rafah, Egypt and Rafah, Gaza Strip.

Or Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada and Niagara Falls, New York, United States of America.

The two cities face each other across the Niagara River, and the offical border runs down the middle of the river. Within the city limits there are two road bridges and a railway bridge across the Niagara, and one of the road bridges has a footway.

So by taking that bridge, you absolutely can have one foot in Niagara Falls ON and one in Niagara Falls NY. What's more, even US border guards will let you do it. Once you've cleared the border post and paid your 50c to get through the turnstile and onto the bridge, you're allowed to stop and take photographs, and you're allowed to stand with one foot in each country. They've even gone so far as to mark the official border on the bridge so's you know precisely where to do it!

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1251050.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote

We've all heard of New York USA of course but did you know that there is a New York in the UK?

it's in Lincolnshire, in the East Lindsey district, in the parish of Wildmore In the Lincolnshire Fens on the B1192 road near Coningsby 11 1/2 miles north of Boston.

It's population at the time of the 2001 census was less than 150. Sharp contrast with the other New York!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York,_Lincolnshire

Dix
1251058.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote

Can I digress a bit?

Last week I happened to find a blog post where someone looked at pairs of houses in the UK that has the exact same street name and house number. (a's, b's, 1/2's etc de not count - the house numbers have to be totally identical). Town name etc can of course be different.

Or in his own words "what the shortest distance was between two Address Twins houses with the same number and the same street-name."

The result was .... interesting. Have a guess before you read.

http://www.paulplowman.com/stuff/house-address-twins-proximity/

Bondee
1251060.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk wrote:
We've all heard of New York USA of course but did you know that there is a New York in the UK?

it's in Lincolnshire, in the East Lindsey district, in the parish of Wildmore In the Lincolnshire Fens ...

Is that the new New York or the old New York?

Alfred E Neuman
1251063.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote

Or even one in between?

suze
1251070.  Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote

New York, New York is named for the 8th Duke of York (later James II and VII), and the title Duke of York is in turn named for York, Yorkshire.

New York, New York has been so named since 1664, before which it was called Nieuw Amsterdam. There is also a Nieuw Amsterdam in the Netherlands (it's on the railway line from Emmen to Zwolle), as well as one in Suriname.

New York, Lincolnshire was established after 1810, according to the BBC Domesday Project, since the area was an uninhabitable bog until the draining of Wildmore Fen in 1802.

So New York, Lincolnshire is New New York. Whether it is named after Old Old York or Old New York is unclear.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next