View previous topic | View next topic

Interesting country facts and figures

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Izzardesque
1000430.  Wed May 29, 2013 9:14 am Reply with quote

I think another interesting feature regarding the Anglo-centric populations in those countries and the possible reason why people don't identify themselves with a hyphen.

In the UK, US, Canada, Australia etc, you will find close communities of Italians, Germans, Chinese, Polish etc, often in their own physical communities as well as cultural.

You don't get that with the Anglo-centric populations.

However, I would say it is interesting how certain elements of those cultures (often food related but not always) DO inform the whole culture rather than just their communities - coffee for example in Australia. Most of the cities and big towns I went to are obsessed with coffee and its quality. This came from (IIRC) the massive influx of Italians in the 20s and 30s.

Darquess
1002288.  Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote

London.

A city inside a city,
inside a country,
inside a country.

(For anyone not aware, the City of London is different from London, home to over 11,00- people and is the first or second most important finacial capital in the world. You can find it's buildings by looking for it's crest (threre is one on Paddigton Station) or a dragon statue marking the actual boundry line, where the wall surrounding the City used to be.)

PDR
1002301.  Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote

Darquess wrote:
London.

A city inside a city,
inside a country,
inside a country.

As we prize pedantry and obscurely disputed definitions in this place, I would suggest that should be:

A city (London),
inside a county (Greater London),
inside a country (England),
inside a Sovereign State (the United Kingdom).

Not 100% certain about the "Greater London" bit as usages vary, but the "country vs sovereign-state" thing is reasonably well established. If you wanted to be controversial you could add a final layer "Inside an Economic Community" as well...

Welcome to QI, BTW!

PDR

sally carr
1002342.  Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:59 pm Reply with quote

Post and telephone boxes in the City of London are painted black.

nitwit02
1002369.  Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Quote:

Since when? I don't remember that from my days around Fenchurch & Leadenhall Streets.

CB27
1002379.  Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote

I don't know about post boes, but I remember that the Post Office sold several telephone boxes to a private company, who had to paint them black to distinguish them from the BT ones. These weren't only the one in the City of London, I remember seeing a few of them outside the Square Mile.

Zebra57
1015608.  Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Many of the Telephone Boxes within London are listed buildings and are most certainly still red. The original Gilbert Scott designed large K2 box is still located by the entrance to the Royal Academy of Arts in Piccadilly. Pillar boxes are also red (although in early times they were green). London taxis are black as are a few second hand BT boxes operated by BT's rivals.

http://www.secret-london.co.uk/Piccadilly.html

AlmondFacialBar
1031352.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:08 am Reply with quote

nitwit02 wrote:
Quote:

Since when? I don't remember that from my days around Fenchurch & Leadenhall Streets.

I saw one near Mansion House Tube station two weeks ago. Very much to my horror, the tourist guide (who had many other things wrong with her, too) referred to it as a "black TARDIS". WTF? I think I've seriously watched Dr Who about three times in my life, and even I know that it's nothing like that.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

dr.bob
1031357.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:35 am Reply with quote

Here's a google street view showing two telephone boxes and a post box in the City of London.

The first thing to notice is that the post box is definitely red, so that part's clearly bollocks.

The other thing to notice is that the phone boxes, much like most other parts of the country, are modern types, not the iconic K6 design. Clearly finding one of those phone boxes in the City will take a bit more detective work, so if anyone wants to volunteer...

AlmondFacialBar
1031361.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:45 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Here's a google street view showing two telephone boxes and a post box in the City of London.

The first thing to notice is that the post box is definitely red, so that part's clearly bollocks.

The other thing to notice is that the phone boxes, much like most other parts of the country, are modern types, not the iconic K6 design. Clearly finding one of those phone boxes in the City will take a bit more detective work, so if anyone wants to volunteer...

See above... Should I have taken a picture? Thank goodness someone else already has:

Oh, and kneetrembler can testify for the one I saw cos she was there, too.

And yes on the red pillar boxes, saw a couple of them.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

cornixt
1031414.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:13 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:

That link broke my Google. Got it into some weird state where all searches led to a 404.

I've seen a few of the black phone boxes in London, although I couldn't say where. There were red ones nearby too, however.

PDR
1031424.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote

They are not Black telephone boxes - they are "Telephone boxes of colour".

PDR

suze
1031439.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote

You mean African-British public call offices?

As CB has noted, no one else is allowed to offer phone boxes in the traditional "phone box red". Or at least, that was what BT said when it first sold off phone boxes that it no longer required, and no one argued. The companies who bought phone boxes did not feel it necessary to go to the courts over the issue.

But in 2012, Nestlé did go running to the law after Cadbury asserted exclusivity over "Dairy Milk purple". Cadbury won the case though, and "Dairy Milk purple" has by now been accepted a registered trademark.

As you'll see from AFB's photo, the company which took on a bunch of phone boxes and painted them black was called New World Payphones. By now the company is called Spectrum Interactive, and it's still managing 1,800 payphones in London (only some of them black).

But - I hear you say - hardly anyone uses phone boxes any more, because "everyone" has a cellphone. Quite right too, and in fact most of Spectrum Interactive's revenue these days is derived from having public wi-fi access within its phone boxes, and from txting annoying third party advertising to people who make use of said wi-fi.

CharliesDragon
1031446.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote

Phone boxes with wifi? That's genius! (At least it is to me right now, I woke up not that long ago and feel slightly drunk.)

nitwit02
1031515.  Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:00 pm Reply with quote

The sight of that black phone box appalled me - is nothing sacred anymore?

Fuck knows what they will do when the Royal Mail is fully sold off ...

Page 7 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next