View previous topic | View next topic

Marshall Islands

Page 1 of 1

Zebra57
970568.  Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote

Kwajalein Island in the Republic of the Marshall Islands is 2,100 nautical miles southwest of Honolulu, Hawaii, but adopts its time zone. Its inhabitants therefore live west of the international dateline but observe Hawaiian time east of the international dateline. The reason is to cater for the large US base on the island. Santa must be confused!

Oceans Edge
970829.  Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:25 pm Reply with quote

The story I was told was that WAS the case for a long time - the US Military wanted the base to be on the same "day" as the rest of the US.

However in 1993 the island rejoined it's parent group and the date line was bent back to join the rest of the islands in the group.

Thus August 21st 1993 never existed in the Kwajalein

Quote:
Living near a time warp can be a disturbing experience. Take the case of the Marshall Islands, a remote Pacific atoll to the west of the International Date Line. The largest island, Kwajalein, is a U.S. Army base with virtually no native inhabitants. At the height of its Cold War activity, Kwajalein adopted the same "day" as the continental United States, thereby propelling the island to the east of the Date Line and retarding it by 24 hours in relation to its neighboring islands.

But in 1993, the regional government reclaimed its prodigal son. The impact on the unfortunate Kwajaleinians was to erase the 21st of August from their calendars -- a Saturday. Bemused residents marked the event with a 2-mile, three-day "Run Around the Clock," starting just before midnight on Friday and ending a few minutes later on Sunday morning.

http://www.sptimes.com/Travel97/10198/To_Every_Times__There.html

There were also T-shirts. LOL. A friend of mine who was living/working there at the time as a civilian contractor employee of the U.S. Military told me the tale - and the BTDT-Got the T-shirt (literally) in 1995 :)

For more on the Marshall Islands Independence
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Islands#Independence

Page 1 of 1