View previous topic | View next topic

Domes

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Flash
49843.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for the work that went into that, Dr Bob. I like the bit about the reverse gear on the hoist particularly.

Celebaelin
49844.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote

Google results on the collapse of a ‘campanile’ or bell tower are rare

whither lieth truth

Just realised that this isn't necessarily relevant to domes *sharp intake of breath*

Jenny
49859.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote

Not only did Brunelleschi install a kitchen between the inner and outer dome, he also installed toilets. Better than having the workmen pee over the side, I suppose...

samivel
49872.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:26 pm Reply with quote

I bet it didn't stop them, though

dr.bob
49888.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:34 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Thanks for the work that went into that, Dr Bob

No probs. Brunelleschi really was an amazing man, especially when you consider that all the things he did involved in the building of the Duomo's dome were done before all the intellectual advances of the Renaissance, and that the feat of building a dome that size was unsurpassed for 500 years (and just think how much technology advanced in those 500 years). No wonder Leonardo was a fan.

Jenny wrote:
Better than having the workmen pee over the side, I suppose...

Especially if there was a service going on below! :)

I don't think the cathedral was generally used before it was finished, but I think they did hold certain ceremonies there on special occasions.

Gray
49916.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:05 am Reply with quote

I've walked (climbed) up the inside of that dome, between the skins, and even the stairs are a work of maniacal genius. The view from the top isn't bad either.

Inside the inner dome, visible from the centre of the cathedral, are huge and gruesome depictions of hell:
Quote:
The dome has eight segments, and here the pictorial scheme uses the eighth segment to depict the eighth, or final day. Here Zuccari has employed symbolism and allegorical figures to represent concepts, as was common in the late Renaissance. In the lower part of this segment, in the centre, the old woman with many breasts is nature, and she is going to sleep with her children, because at the end of time there will be no more need for her. Similarly, Death, the skeleton to the right is breaking his scythe over his knee, and Time, to the left, is breaking his hourglass. All around the lower level are the regions of hell, where Christ the judge is sending the sinners. Zuccaro seems to have been quite excited by the visual possibilities of such a representation because he has devoted the most space to this. It is here that we see the demons at work inflicting ingenious tortures on the damned souls.

From the gallery in the dome, there's an ingeniuos perspecive trick in the way the floor marbles have been chosen and laid that makes it look like it's stretching down to hell:

Tas
49934.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:00 am Reply with quote

Wow! The second picture really gives you an appreciation of the scale involved.

:-)

Tas

samivel
49943.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:37 am Reply with quote

It can also induce vertigo :)

Celebaelin
54648.  Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:27 pm Reply with quote

I was thinking of Domes earlier today (yesterday) strangely enough but I was thinking more along the lines of this one

Quote:
The £768 million Millennium Dome, the world's largest enclosed space, opened on the first day of the new millennium, January 1, 2000.

this sort (Eden project)

or this sort (Omaha Zoo)

Quote:
The world's largest indoor desert, the Desert Dome, located under the world's largest glazed geodesic dome has become a landmark of Omaha.

This leads to Richard Buckminster-Fuller and his unusual outlook and ideas, eg the aerodynamic Dymaxion (dynamic maximum tension) car, house and map. Whilst I'm short on Buckminster-Fuller anecdotes myself Wiki suggests links with polyphasic sleep, John Denver and diaries (for 68 years, 1915-83, he chronicled his life every 15 mins apparently).

There's also 'Buckyballs' (spherical fullerenes) which are QI and goodness knows what factoids we can dredge up about them by trawling our collective seams of accumulated factlets.

Buckminsterfullerene (C60) 1996 Nobel Prize for Chemistry - Curl, Kroto and Smalley.

http://www.britannia.com/travel/top/millendome.html
http://www.omahazoo.com/exhibits/index.asp?page=exhibits/desertdome.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminsterfullerene
http://www.chm.bris.ac.uk/motm/buckyball/c60a.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckminster_Fuller

If heading towards religious architecture I guess we shouldn't forget this sort

which I've been to and is pretty impressive.

It is not the worlds largest however
Quote:
At the foothills of the Margalla Hills in Pakistan's capital of Islamabad, the Shah Faisal Mosque is one of the core places of Muslim worship in Southern Asia. It was erected from foundations to prayer in just 5 years in 1976.

which looks like this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Mosque
http://www.pilotguides.com/destination_guide/asia/pakistan/shah_faisal_mosque.php

djgordy
54662.  Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:54 am Reply with quote

I've been to the Blue Mosque in Istanbul (not Constantinople) and it is simply wonderful.

grizzly
54669.  Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote

I seem to remember there being some interesting facts about the dome on the Radcliffe Camera in Oxford, although I cannot remember them specifically and would not want to post untruths. Anyone know some QI factoids about the building?

Celebaelin
54816.  Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:29 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I've been to the Blue Mosque in Istanbul (not Constantinople) and it is simply wonderful.

QIly the Greeks and native Byzantines called it 'Istanbul' as well or at least
Quote:
Emperor Constantin made it the capital of the new Roman empire of the East, but paradoxically the Greeks refused this naming and continued to call it Byzance or even sometimes simply ' this city ' : in Greek ' isten polis ' which, for the Ottomans after the conquest of the city in 1453 became Istanbul.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/gontier.michel/abospho.htm

Somewhere I've got a photograph of sunset over the Blue Mosque taken from a cruise-ship on the Bosphorus with a very cheap camera. It's quite possibly the best photograph I've ever taken or perhaps ever will take, the subject matter helped a lot.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total

dr.bob
54817.  Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:30 am Reply with quote

The only other dome I know somethign quite interesting about is the Houston Astrodome. I'm sure everyone already knows this, but it's the source of AstroTurf and indeed gave it its name.

I saw a TV show recently about designing stadiums (stadia, whatever) and how very difficult it was to make sure the grass grew properly. When the astrodome was built everyone was very surprised to find that the grass just died off, so they had to invent artificial grass to play on.

It turns out that, as well as light, grass needs free flowing air as well. There are some open-topped stadiums which have patches at the sides or in the corners where the grass won't grow because the air doesn't move around enough. There's even a stadium in Germany (I think) where the entire pitch can be slid outside to sit next to the stadium and get some decent fresh air between games.

Air flow around stadiums is now a well-understood science and is vitally important when designing new sporting venues.

Celebaelin
54822.  Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote

The turf at the Millenium Stadium is on palettes too. Presumably, since the roof can be closed, for this reason at least in part. It also allows the floor area to be used for events where turf would not be suitable. I think some/one of the football stadia built for the World Cup in Japan has a similar arrangement, although something at the back of my mind suggests that their system is motorised and I can't say I've heard that about any other.

samivel
54937.  Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:06 pm Reply with quote

And at the Amsterdam Arena, home of top Dutch football team, Greek hero and cleaning product, Ajax.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next