View previous topic | View next topic

Donington

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

It's a long way to the top if ya wanna rock and roll?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

Celebaelin
49764.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote

Specifically the Monsters of Rock festival at Castle Donnington but other Donningtons if you must!

Quote:
Helloween
Megadeth
Guns N' Roses
David Lee Roth
KISS
Iron Maiden (headline)
Iron Maiden, KISS, David Lee Roth, Megadeth, Guns N' Roses, Helloween, The Bailey Brothers (DJ's), Neal Kaye (compere)

Largest crowd ever, approx 110,000. This was the year 2 people were crushed to death during Guns 'N' Roses set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsters_of_Rock

This was the last one I attended, despite the temptation of Steve Vai playing with Whitesnake in 1990 (the next time it was held). I was standing just to the right and in front of the mixing desk and when the band asked everyone "Just to take one step back, that's all it takes" did so (and made sure no-one from behind me tried to step into the space thus created). Not everyone did though, and what breathing room was created soon disappeared around the stage as people tried to get that extra inch closer to the stage.

Axl Rose, much to his credit IMO, went a rather shocked shade of pastel green when G'n'R stopped playing the second time to pull people out of the crush. Very sad. The trouble was allegedly caused at least in part because there were ~20,000 forged tickets in circulation, if this is true I hope the people responsible paid the consequences. Subsequent attendances were capped at 75,000.

<Edit> Factual inaccuracy corrected and insertion of comment 'You had to be there' regarding some omitted annecdotes.

In deference to RayF I've corrected the spelling in the thread title, but not my misspelllinnnngggggs in this, or any other, post.

Last edited by Celebaelin on Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:35 am; edited 3 times in total

djgordy
49767.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:02 am Reply with quote

If I stand in my front garden and the wind is in the right direction I can hear the sound from Donington Park without having to buy a ticket or mingle with unwashed heavy metal fans.

Celebaelin
49768.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote

Sorry about that, but then you've got the air traffic as well (not that we heard it much above the music).

real_illusions
49805.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:59 pm Reply with quote

wow..a steve vai fan in here!?

i think we're few and far between

although i've never been to festivals..did get some photos of steve vai's recent visit last year to the uk.

www.kf-net.net

and i've only been to donington for the motor races in the past 3 or 4 years

Celebaelin
49840.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:20 pm Reply with quote

Gettin' the finger from your link but if you go to my recent post on the QI music thread and follow your instincts/morals then that'll be fine *looks at Flexable, Flexable w. 4 bonus and Leftovers*. SV kinda lost me after Fire Garden *sighs and bemoans inability to keep up with this modern stuff*

gerontius grumpus
49845.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote

The village of Donnington, near Stow on the Wold is the home of the Donnington brewery which brews some amazing beers.

Celebaelin
49850.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Tas
49898.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
This was the last one I attended, despite the temptation of Steve Vai playing with Whitesnake in 1990

That was my first one! And I have to say, Whitesnake were great, except for Coverdale not being able to perform on stage too well. All the support bands were excellent (Thunder, Black Crowes, Motley Crue, Aerosmith). I thought Aerosmith should have headlined, and were soooo much better than Whitesnake.

All told, though, a bloody good gig!

:-)

Tas

Celebaelin
49902.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:28 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
That was my first one! And I have to say, Whitesnake were great, except for Coverdale not being able to perform on stage too well.
//
I thought Aerosmith should have headlined, and were soooo much better than Whitesnake.

HERETIC! Persecute! Kill the unbeliever!

Coverdale's voice never really recovered from his sneezing and blowing his nasal conchae out into a sandpit full of cocaine but still I'm surprised to hear you say that. Every time I've seen him he's been great. I found out yesterday that the entire set (allegedly) is downloadable from Limewire, I'll give it another listen. At the time I caught it on the radio but you don't get the feel of it that way.

Tas
49905.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:34 am Reply with quote

Quote:
HERETIC! Persecute! Kill the unbeliever!

I shall die for my beliefs, if necessary! I woz there, so ner!

Tas

Celebaelin
49946.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:39 am Reply with quote

Whitesnake - Donnington 1990 (108 mins)

(Ereís a song for ya!)
Slip Of The Tongue (played fairly straight)
Slide It In (with Vai break which deserved more applause than it got Ė for shame)
Judgement Day (Ďdo it like on the albumí version but with some irregularities)
Slow and Easy (Vai showing off again!)
(Coverdale does some kind of bizarre Brian Connelly impersonation)
Kittens Got Claws (played fairly straight)
(Flags of all nations Vandenburg introduction!)
Adrian Vandenburg goes crazy ape bonkers
(Expletive deleted!)
Is This Love (played fairly straight but with more guitar embellishments)
(Not Too Shabby!)
Cheap And Nasty (played fairly straight, bit more fretwork)
(Come On!)
[?Ready aní Willing absent from recording? Edit at 50 mins?]
Crying In The Rain (played fairly straight as per 1987 version, guitar-work not as heartfelt as John Sykesí album rendition, Tommy Aldridge drum solo, more on guitar from Vai and Vandenburg)
Fool For Your Loving (played fairly straight as per Slip Of The Tongue extra break from Vandenburg)
(Letís Ďave a look at Ďem!)
Vai goes to Venus and back in 30s
For The Love Of God live (Vai - Passion and Warfare)
Greasy Kids Stuff live (Vai - Passion and Warfare, extra bits to taste)
(What do you want to do now?)
Here I Go Again (played fairly straight as per 1987 version)
[?Edit at 80 mins?]
(Intro for ~300 strong Whitesnake choir)
Bad Boys/ Children Of The Night/Bad Boys (played fairly straight other than that)
(Thanks a bunch 90 mins)
(Ereís a song for ya!)
Ainít No Love In The Heart Of The City (Signature: what can you say? 75,000 people joined the choir all of a sudden, big surprise)
Still Of The Night (straightish, with contributions from the choir and extra riffmanship)
(Goodnight, Not Too Fucking Shabby!)

Christ on a crutch Tas, Aerosmith must have been good value.

Tas
49955.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:57 am Reply with quote

Cele...

Whitesnake were 'Not Too Fucking Shabby'....Aerosmith were bloody awesome. The set was very lively, and very well performed. Maybe, just maybe, Whitesnake did not really have a chance following it, as the performance was that good. To be honest, none of the bands had a bad day at the office that day.

Thunder were an excellent first band. N'wobhm was in it's pomp, and they were best new band of their genre at the time. Black Crowes were stunning, and looked like they had been performing for 75000 people for years. Motley Crue (who I am not a fan off), even they were excellent. Aerosmith came on, and were simply awesome. Whitesnake, whilst "pretty good, pretty good...not bad" were not as good. It was felt by most of us (my mates and I) that Coverdale struggled a little. But, it was a decent performance. By the end of the gig there were a lot of drunk people that would have sung anything, cos we were all rocking and a-buzzing. It was a very noisy journey home, with lots of bad renditions of most of the songs from the gig!

Like I said, bloody good gig!

Tas

real_illusions
50004.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:04 pm Reply with quote

i'd really like to see that donington festival on video or something.

aerosmith and whitesnake..2 bands i'd really like to see live from their best era...damn my young age! :P

and my site should work now :)

Pubdog
50048.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Aerosmith were definately better than Whiteshite, er snake. Monster of Rock festivals were miles better than those Download festivals they have now. I went to four MOR's. ACDC headlining in '91 was one of my best, and that's available on DVD, and a good effort it is too.
No-one tops the might Metallicatz!, and Thunder and the Almighty were good for flying the Brit Flag!

I'm another Vai fan by the way (that makes 3 so far!), but Satriani is the Master!!

If it's too loud, you're too old. Amen.

gerontius grumpus
50104.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:

SBA, BB, Dark mild.

I could be giving out of date information but I'd be most upset if they are no longer brewing SBA at Donnington.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next