View previous topic | View next topic

Doubly landlocked countries

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

dr.bob
49772.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:11 am Reply with quote

Didn't the question of doubly-landlocked countries come up on the show once? Maybe back in the A series.

I definitely remember hearing about it before.

tetsabb
49972.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:15 am Reply with quote

Moving on along the thread, a few more observations from looking at the atlas.

Is Kansas Trebly-landlocked, in terms of American states and Canadian Provinces?

Is there a definitive answer to 'How far from the sea can one get?' I reckon, again not counting the Caspian, somewhere around Novosibirsk or Urumqi looks promising.

Looking at the Europe/Asia/Africa landmass, has anyone worked out the furthest distance one could walk without crossing saltwater? I imagine the starting point would have to be either easternmost Siberia or Johor Baharu, finishing up at Gibraltar or (the Suez Canal being artificial), Cape Town.

Hmmmmmm

eggshaped
49973.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
has anyone worked out the furthest distance one could walk without crossing saltwater?

You could go round the M60 forever.

(which is what it feels like most nights)

dr.bob
49976.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:29 am Reply with quote

If you don't specify it has to be in a straight line, then the possibilities are endless :)

Tas
49980.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:35 am Reply with quote

Quote:
If you don't specify it has to be in a straight line, then the possibilities are endless :)

Assuming a finite Universe, and not one that doubles back on itself....oh, sod! Wrong thread!

:-)

Tas

tetsabb
49998.  Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:58 am Reply with quote

Well of course you could go from Moscow to Petersburg via Capetown, Vladivostok, Lisbon, Beijing and Timbuktu, but I was thinking generally in terms of shortest route from, say, Vladivostok to Capetown.......

Woodsman
50546.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:21 am Reply with quote

This has evolved from a Doubly Landlocked thread into a Doubly Tonguetied thread.

gerontius grumpus
50644.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Well of course you could go from Moscow to Petersburg via Capetown, Vladivostok, Lisbon, Beijing and Timbuktu, but I was thinking generally in terms of shortest route from, say, Vladivostok to Capetown.......

Ask Michael Palin.

tetsabb
50648.  Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:11 pm Reply with quote

...or, more likely, the researchers for his programmes?

AndyE
50711.  Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:12 am Reply with quote

tetsabb wrote:
Is Kansas Trebly-landlocked, in terms of American states and Canadian Provinces?

I'm guessing that you define trebly-landlocked as meaning that the state is landlocked, all its neighbours are landlocked, and all of their neighbours are landlocked as well.

If that is what you mean, then:

Doubly landlocked states: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

Trebly landlocked state: Nebraska (borders South Dakota, Iowa, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming)

Kansas is let down by bordering Oklahoma, which in turn borders Texas, which is on the sea.

(Assuming that a shoreline on the Great Lakes does not prevent a state being landlocked, but that Hudson Bay does so prevent a Canadian province.)

The furthest city from the sea in the world is generally held to be Ürümqi or Wulumuqi (the former is the Uighur form, the latter is the officially preferred Chinese) in north west China. The population in the 2000 census was a bit more than 2 million, so it's not just a village, and the nearest sea is about 1400 miles away.

djgordy
50725.  Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:56 am Reply with quote

AndyE wrote:

Doubly landlocked states: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, Wisconsin, Wyoming.

There was a guy on some tv programme who went to California from Denver. It was the first time he had ever seen the sea and he was genuinely overcome.

Woodsman
50770.  Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:46 pm Reply with quote

Did AndyE have more tme on his hands than was alloted, or that we thought he had.

qualifies as interesting, just the same

Leaves to start list of triply-landlocked counties in the Lower 48.

Woodsman
50771.  Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:49 pm Reply with quote

Another thought. Is the correct form doublylandlocked, doubly-landlocked, or doubly landlocked?

AndyE
50773.  Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:17 pm Reply with quote

Woodsman wrote:
Did AndyE have more tme on his hands than was alloted, or that we thought he had.

Took me about twenty minutes ...

Good luck with finding a dodectuply (probably not a real word, but it starts with a D) landlocked county in the Lower 48!

Woodsman
50885.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:08 am Reply with quote

I'm up to the nonadectuple level ... but the eyestrain is killing me.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next