View previous topic | View next topic

Kanadian Kapers

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

sbmcmull
969240.  Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:40 am Reply with quote

OK, there's been plenty of representation from other Commonwealth countries, what about having some Canadian guests?

Jenny
969334.  Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:23 am Reply with quote

Suggest some good Canadian comedians? Welcome to the QI forums :-)

Oceans Edge
969351.  Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 am Reply with quote

Rick Mercer - wickedly funny, very dry, very bright, very opinionated, political satirist of the highest order
Shaun Majumber - A Newfoundlander of Indian and Canadian descent, also very funny,
Mary Walsh - lovely sharp tongued lady - her Xena warrior princess take offs are deadly (especially when Rob Ford tried to have her arrested for it!)
Seán Cullen - has won awards from the Edinburgh Fringe Festival
Scott Thompson - irreverent is the polite word
Steve Smith - a bit of 'homespun' old guy wisdom, and duct tape aficionado
Ron James - yeah the east coast does seem to produce comics of decidedly dry wit
Rod Beattie - not exactly a comic, but certainly an amusing (and talented) actor

That'll get ya started *grins* then you can try this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_comedians

suze
969365.  Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 am Reply with quote

Back in the days of Gabbly, I (and others) once had a conversation with no less a person than Commander Lloyd himself about possible Canadian guests.

It's not really my place to list here all the names that were mentioned - even if I could remember all of them, which I can't - or the reasons why some of them were not considered suitable.

But the names which came up the most often were Ryan Stiles and Bill Shatner. Ryan Stiles doesn't fly, which tends to rule him out of bookings outside Canada and the USA, and Bill Shatner is by now probably too old. (I'm aware that he has a reputation for being difficult to work with, but this was not considered insurmountable.)

Oceans Edge
969381.  Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:37 pm Reply with quote

I also like the idea of George Stroumboulopoulos - again not so much a comedian as a Canadian Personality ... frankly he's my choice to host a Canadian version of QI (in the fabulous game we play around here of "What If?")

nitwit02
969501.  Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:11 pm Reply with quote

And then there's Jian Ghomeshi. CBC Canadian/Iranian who spent formative years in the UK. Very smart and personable.

Zebra57
969533.  Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:01 am Reply with quote

Dan Aykroyd or Kim Cattrall are possibilities.

William Shatner has appeared on "Have I Got News for You" recently (any space related episodes in the mix?)

sbmcmull
969774.  Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote

One person from my neck of the woods (Alberta) is Tony Law, who is much better known in the UK and has appeared on HIGNFY. Then there are The Lumberjacks, a bunch of Canadians in the UK who are working the comedy circuit there (Stewart Francis, Craig Campbell, Glenn Wool).

Jian Ghomeshi would probably fit right in, make an all CBC episode with Rick Mercer and Strombo. Mary Walsh on the other hand could probably carry a whole episode alone!

djgordy
969775.  Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
William Shatner has appeared on "Have I Got News for You" recently

He was rubbish.

djgordy
969777.  Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Suggest some good Canadian comedians?

Leonard Cohen.

Oceans Edge
969784.  Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Zebra57 wrote:
William Shatner has appeared on "Have I Got News for You" recently

He was rubbish.

Its also - a bit tiresome that anytime someone wants a 'Canadian' celebrity they haul out William bloody Shatner .... blech..

If you're gonna do that well geez at least go for Leslie Nielsen or Christopher Plummer or ... Eugene Levy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b04RzmSJyJE

nitwit02
969851.  Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to fellow Albertan, sbmcmull

Jenny
970083.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:41 pm Reply with quote

William Shatner has also appeared on the Jay Leno Tonight show here. He was rubbish there too.

djgordy
970092.  Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:01 pm Reply with quote

To be fair, he was also fairly rubbish in Star Trek; as were most of the cast. It was something of a relief when TNG came along and they decided to hire someone who could really act to play the captain.

MisterNeener
1126718.  Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:03 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
And then there's Jian Ghomeshi. CBC Canadian/Iranian who spent formative years in the UK. Very smart and personable.

Well, in light of recent developments, he's obviously off the table...

Of all the ones mentioned above, I think Rick Mercer would be the best fit. He's quick on his feet and probably packed with great anecdotes (owing to his extensive travels, across Canada at least).

Has Russell Peters been on yet? He'd be good, and he's a huge star so there's that.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next