Goto page Previous  1, 2

sally carr
996698.  Wed May 15, 2013 3:19 pm Reply with quote

It's no fun when they're easy, is it?

CharliesDragon
996709.  Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
You're a push-over! Should have resisted for a while longer. ;-p

Well, there's still a lot of things you don't know about me.

Actually, I should just have lied and said it was German... but if anyone had said anything in German to me I'd be in a tight spot, as it's obvious German is not my first language.

Dutchie
1225329.  Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote

Just some background information on Willem III.

Willem III was king of the Netherlands (and Grand Duke of Luxembourg) from 1849 till his death in 1890. His bad temper, ego´sm and undermining of the constitution made him increasingly unpopular amongst the upper classes. However, he remained well-liked by the common people. His first wife attempted to divorce him twice, motivated by physical and mental abuse, and (sexual) excess.

In his role as king, he made some unattainable demands. For example, after riots in one of the cities, he threatened to bombard the city with grenades in case of future outbreaks. He ordered the arrest and execution of many officials, who he felt did not respect him enough. However, these orders were never followed. He also dismissed several cabinets who opposed his ideas.

Willem III earned the nickname crazy king and king gorilla because of his rude and erratic behaviour. On multiple occasions, he was witnessed on his balcony with an open robe, wearing nothing underneath. He humiliated and intimidated everyone around him, especially his servants. He even created situations to justify giving petty punishments, literally kicking people around. However, he at times he could also be very kind, affectionate and generous. After his first wife died, Willem remarried with the 41 years younger Princess Emma. She turned out to have a positive influence on the Kings bad temper.

'yorz
1225355.  Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote

Reminds me of somebody.

<edit> I wrote that without seeing your other post elsewhere.

'yorz
1225371.  Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote

Willem III's Dutch Wiki-page informs that after his death:

Emma (his daughter), Wilhelmina (his widow) and his sister Sophie were not present at the interment. According to customs at the time, only men could attend the funeral. The interment on December 4 1980 in Delft was rather disorganised: one gallery collapsed, and there were not enough coaches and parking places which caused many to arrive belated at the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church).

The bearers dropped the coffin, and when entering the church the coffin was "handled like a piano". The funeral service was led by the Court Chaplain, who said:

"We do all know how ebullient and passionate the Deceased's character was, and how he, sincere in everything, as a human often lacked the self control that as King was one of his virtues.
Why should I keep quiet about this? I never flattered him when he was alive, and do not intend to do so after his death."

It almost reads as Fake News. :-)

Stefan Linnemann
1225479.  Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote

You misspelled 1890.

'yorz
1225504.  Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote

Muggezifter!

Stefan Linnemann
1225520.  Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote

It's a fair cop.

14-11-2014
1225993.  Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Stefan Linnemann wrote:
You misspelled 1890.

And, for example, the name of the widow. And the name of his daughter.

'yorz
1226015.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:12 am Reply with quote

Yup. A lot of swapping around was committed.

'yorz
1226016.  Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Willem III's Dutch Wiki-page informs that after his death:

Emma (his widow), Wilhelmina (his daughter) and his sister Sophie were not present at the interment. According to customs at the time, only men could attend the funeral. The interment on December 4, 1890 in Delft was rather disorganised: one gallery collapsed, and there were not enough coaches and parking places which caused many to arrive belated at the Nieuwe Kerk (New Church).

The bearers dropped the coffin, and when entering the church the coffin was "handled like a piano". The funeral service was led by the Court Chaplain, who said:

"We do all know how ebullient and passionate the Deceased's character was, and how he, sincere in everything, as a human often lacked the self control that as King was one of his virtues.
Why should I keep quiet about this? I never flattered him when he was alive, and do not intend to do so after his death."

It almost reads as Fake News. :-)

As it should have read in the first place. So, not Fake News as much as Wrong News.
Mea Culpa.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2