View previous topic | View next topic

Recent Acquisitions

Page 1 of 95
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

NinOfEden
966937.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 am Reply with quote

Hello, forum-mates.
I was wondering. Have any of you recently bought/found/re-discovered/been given/inherited/won/nicked anything Quite Interesting?

The other day, clearing out a drawer, I found this little apron:

I asked M where it came from, all she would tell me was that she used to keep pegs in it, which I did suspect anway; I'm not sure if I vaguely remember it from being very small, or if it just seemed the logical thing to do with such an item.
I like the retro-vintage design on it. :-)
It looks hand-made - not sure if it might have come from a craft fair, or what.
Also, I recently found this in my change:

On the other side, it says 'Eire 1979'.
I didn't even realise they'd had pence in Ireland. Then that set me off wondering what Irish currency actually was, + whether they decimalised with us, + if so why? + the more I thought about it, the more I realised I knew next to nothing about Ireland at all. :-/

Strawberry
966945.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 am Reply with quote

i spent Christmas with the fiancé, his parents, sister and brother-in-law and niece and nephew. We played a game where his mother put some coin containers on the table and everyone had to guess how much was in each one. One of my guesses was right so i won £2.50.

And on the 30th of December, i was looking at the box which contains my parents' wedding album and cards. i found a 1955 half crown in the box.

Also, here is an Irish link.

Efros
966950.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote

Not recently but when clearing out my parents house I found one of these.

Complete with its wooden case. Very cool. I also found a selection of my work jotters from primary school that my Mum had put away.

suze
966976.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:53 am Reply with quote

NinOfEden wrote:
I didn't even realise they'd had pence in Ireland. Then that set me off wondering what Irish currency actually was, + whether they decimalised with us, + if so why? + the more I thought about it, the more I realised I knew next to nothing about Ireland at all. :-/

While Ireland was under British rule it used the pound sterling, as you'd expect. Having gained independence, in 1928 it switched to the Irish pound (or in Irish, punt), which was tied to sterling. That is to say, there was no floating exchange rate - one pound sterling was always equal in value to one Irish pound. Ireland went decimal on the same day as the UK in 1971, basically because their politicians decided that it would be too inconvenient not to.

Then in 1979, the Irish pound was untied from the British pound - and so an exchange rate came into being. Also from then, Ireland began to make its own coins and banknotes; until then, Irish currency had been made in the UK. Initially all the coins were the same shapes and sizes as their British equivalents, but Ireland moved away from that during the 80s; the 20p coin was the first one to be different.

And then Ireland joined the euro when it started in 2002, and so the Irish pound was no more.

NinOfEden
966979.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:04 am Reply with quote

Strawberry wrote:
on the 30th of December, i was looking at the box which contains my parents' wedding album and cards. i found a 1955 half crown in the box.

Cool! I have a 1956 shilling that turned up under the floorboards when our house was being re-wired. I wonder how it got there, if anyone missed it, if it was stuck there on purpose by a naughty child or if it dropped out of someone's pocket last time the floorboards were up.
Strawberry wrote:

Also, here is an Irish link.

Hey, thanks! :-)

djgordy
967008.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote

Before decimalisation it was quite usual to have Irish coins turn up in one's change. It was very rarely that they wouldn't be accepted.

AlmondFacialBar
967108.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:34 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Before decimalisation it was quite usual to have Irish coins turn up in one's change. It was very rarely that they wouldn't be accepted.

Actually the Sterling and the Punt had parity until 1979, when they both entered the EMS, so both currencies should have readily been accepted in both states. And indeed when I worked as a check-out operator here in 2000 UK pennies and two pence were still fine to use; that only really stopped when the Euro came in. On the other hand, it can be quite challenging to pay a Heathrow bus driver in Northern Ireland notes.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

djgordy
967110.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:

Actually the Sterling and the Punt had parity until 1979, when they both entered the EMS, so both currencies should have readily been accepted in both states.

Well....not really. An Irish coin may have had the same value as a British coin from the pint of view of excahnging one for the other but it is still the coin of a foreign country. An Irish coin in the U.K. really had no value; it was just a piece of metal unless you could exchange it for a British coin; which nobody was obliged to do.

It wasn't the same situation as we have now in which a German Euro and a Greek Euro are interchangable.

suze
967118.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Until Britain enters the euro ...

Now OK, that probably isn't going to happen within any of our lifetimes. But if it did, I can just imagine certain retail outlets adopting a "company policy" - the sort of "company policy" which is communicated via a notice in green felt tip pen written inside an orange cardboard star - that "foreign euro's will not be excepted".

I wasn't in Britain in the 70s, but I imagine that some shopkeepers would have refused an Irish coin. Probably rather few in Ireland would have refused a British coin.

It's much like that in communities close to the 49th. The US dollar and Canadian dollar have floated against each other since 1970, but in practice they have often been of fairly similar value. And most larger stores in Canada will take US dollars. These days it's usually at par - which means that the store makes a few cents on the deal - but when the Canadian dollar was weak in the 80s, all sorts of stores would advertise in the window the rate at which they would take USD.

Except in Buffalo and Spokane, you won't often find an American store that's willing to take Canadian dollars.

mckeonj
967125.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Visiting Britain from Ireland, I have a couple of times tendered a euro note to pay for goods in a British shop, as they are obliged to accept euro notes, and give change in sterling.
I haven't tried this with a taxi driver, though.
This has caused some grumblement, as the shops usually insist on finding out the exact exchange rate, and won't accept my 'three for two' offer.

*not euro coins, which are issued by individual countries. In the euro zone, we happily spend and receive 'foreign' coins. French, Spanish, Italian, and Greek are commonplace. Very small countries have very small coin issues; e.g. The Vatican, and these are sought by collectors.

AlmondFacialBar
967127.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote

It's not the worst coffee break entertainment to pass around a rare issue Euro coin and debate which country it's from...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Rudolph Hucker
967128.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:58 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
While Ireland was under British rule it used the pound sterling, as you'd expect. Having gained independence, in 1928 it switched to the Irish pound (or in Irish, punt), which was tied to sterling.

The word punt was chosen for the currency because it rhymes so well with banker,

bemahan
967129.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote

Hello, RH. Is there a particular reason that you have taken to only posting on the 27th day of the month?

Rudolph Hucker
967136.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Yes.

bemahan
967137.  Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 pm Reply with quote

Luckily, I'm in the same time zone as you or that joke might have fallen flat. :)

Page 1 of 95
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95  Next