View previous topic | View next topic

Darien

Page 1 of 1

laidbacklazyman
49423.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:54 am Reply with quote

Who or what rendered a country bankrupt?

The answer is the Darien Project.

The canny Scots lead by William Patterson had decided enough was enough at being poor following the failure of the Jacobite uprising and the enforced liberal protestantism being forced on to them by an all but in name Catholic King thought it would be a good idea to get in first on the main shipping route to the new world.

Unfortunately they decided that the place to set up this important shipping hub should be an island close to Panama named Darien. It was unfortunate because at the time the Scots were a little headstrong and did little research into the state of their chosen settlement before setting off. It was on arrival they discovered that rather than a paradise that would bring them the riches their downtrodden lives had deserved, the area was actually an uninhabitable mosquito ridden swamp of a place unfit for human life.

Those that survived the journey were ruined and it was the financial state of the country caused by the normally astute Patterson that led to the Act of the Union so committing England and Scotland to a relationship that would last a lifetime.

Src various but a quick google will point you in the right direction

eggshaped
49431.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote

Hey, great minds think alike, lblm

samivel
49432.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:20 am Reply with quote

I thought I'd heard of it before :)

laidbacklazyman
49464.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:19 pm Reply with quote

That's spooky - I had no idea it was there, I've just come back from a trip to Scotland and the subject just tickled my fancy.

I definately agree with the great minds theory as opposed to fools seldom differing

Celebaelin
49487.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:44 pm Reply with quote

Don't we all.

Jenny
49576.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:32 am Reply with quote

If ever I bought a Pekinese dog, I think I'd call it Indarien.

Page 1 of 1