View previous topic | View next topic

K Places

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

EXE
965080.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:55 am Reply with quote

There's already a k countries thread, but I thought a more inclusive one was necessary...

Q: Where can you find cities named “To Dig Good Potatoes,” Doo Dah, and Manhattan?
[klaxon -- New York]
Kansas -- Topeka means “to dig good potatoes” in the Kansa language, Doo Dah is the common nickname of Wichita, and Manhattan is the 8th largest city in the state.

Q: Why don't people in Kano, Nigeria, want to get vaccinated against polio?
There is huge resistance in the Kano area against recent vaccinations pushes, and the reason is that in 1996, the pharmaceutical company Pfizer conducted drug trials on a group of 200 children, testing a new meningitis medication called Trovan. The drug was not approved for use in the US, the Nigerian government had not approved the trials, and the parents of the children were not informed. The drug led to several deaths and lasting blindness, deafness, and brain damage in children who did not survive. It is the memory of this sad incident which is behind much of the resistance to polio vaccination efforts today.

Last edited by EXE on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rasmus
965200.  Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:23 am Reply with quote

I talk a bit about København and the Kalmar Union in my post on Danish K-topics.

There is also Kalundborg and Køge.

I am struggeling to find interesting stuff about those. The former has a very brief claim to having been the capital and in '82 a navy frigate fired a Harpoon-missile into a holiday home area somewhat close to the city. Noone was injured, and the missile was named "hovsamissilet" (whoops-missile).

The bay of Køge was designated as the main Soviet landing site, if the cold war had heated up. This was revealed in declassified documents from the East German government. The invasion would have been preceeded by severe nuclear bombing of the area.

EXE
966479.  Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote

For a time Nepal was the only country in the world where the life expectancy of men was longer than that of women (I guess Kathmandu would be the K connection here.)

EXE
966567.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:37 am Reply with quote

Some Kentucky facts:
Both Abraham Lincoln, president of the Union during the Civil War, and Jefferson Davis, president of the Confederacy during the Civil War, were born in Kentucky.
The song "Happy Birthday to You" was written by two sisters from Kentucky.
Kentucky is known as the Bluegrass State after the plant, but in fact bluegrass isn't blue but green. However, it does have blue flowers, and if you look at a field of bluegrass from far away, the flowers make the field look bluish.

Posital
966643.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote

I'm sure there must be something interesting about Kalamazoo, apart from its name...

EXE
966700.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:30 pm Reply with quote

I believe there's a Kalamazoo thread somewhere

Sadurian Mike
966705.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote

As well as ones about Della and a dealer and a dog named Jake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVyzQY8W--g

EXE
966778.  Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:45 pm Reply with quote

There's an Irish town called Kill, as well as plenty of Irish places with Kil- as part of their name. For something that comes from the word for "church," it's pretty violent stuff.

EXE
971414.  Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:57 pm Reply with quote

Q: Why did Britain go to war with the Kingdom of Candy?
A: Candy should be spelled Kandy here -- it was a part of Sri Lanka that the British attempted to seize.

AlmondFacialBar
971470.  Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:50 am Reply with quote

And one of those Kill places is... Killiney, Co. Dublin:

Q: So… Apart from the fact that this piece of beach affords you a perfect view of Bono’s back garden, what else is special about it?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Killiney_Bay.JPG/250px-Killiney_Bay.JPG

A: It’s where the science of seismology was invented:

http://atlas.ingeniousireland.ie/1849-worlds-first-controlled-seismic-experiment/

http://www.science.ie/science-news/seismology-pioneer-robert-mallet.html

In 2009 then, for its 160th anniversary, BBC 2 tried to recreate the experiment for their Coast program in situ, but as the local council’s Health and Safety officers didn’t let them use the original amount of explosives it turned out rather less spectacular than originally hoped for. I don’t have an official source for that one yet as the whole story was regaled to me by an employee of said council (Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown, btw, not Dublin) over brunch yesterday morning, but intend to find one.

According to The Dublin Institute for Advanced Studies’s Web site a reading did register at any rate, so I guess the recreation wasn’t a total failure:

http://www.dias.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=3959%3Ageophyicskilliney&catid=146&Itemid=171&lang=en

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Efros
971483.  Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote

EXE wrote:
There's already a k countries thread, but I thought a more inclusive one was necessary...

Q: Where can you find cities named “To Dig Good Potatoes,” Doo Dah, and Manhattan?
[klaxon -- New York]
Kansas -- Topeka means “to dig good potatoes” in the Kansa language, Doo Dah is the common nickname of Wichita, and Manhattan is the 8th largest city in the state.

The potatoes are not the potatoes we know but are a tuber bearing variety of legume.

Geography Guy
987497.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:47 am Reply with quote

Some alliterative K place names:
Kakamega, Kenya
Karagandy, Kazakhstan
Kuria, Kiribati
Khalidiya, Kuwait
Kökjanggak, Kyrgyzstan
Kačanik, Kosovo
Kuttawa, Kentucky
Kanopolis, Kansas
Kulachi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
Kawakami, Karafuto

germananglophile
987639.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 am Reply with quote

Geography Guy wrote:
Some alliterative K place names:
Kakamega, Kenya
Karagandy, Kazakhstan
Kuria, Kiribati
Khalidiya, Kuwait
Kökjanggak, Kyrgyzstan
Kačanik, Kosovo
Kuttawa, Kentucky
Kanopolis, Kansas
Kulachi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
Kawakami, Karafuto

Let's also give a shout out to Klondike, Yukon. :) (makes mental note to break out her Jack London books again)

Efros
987648.  Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:59 am Reply with quote

Kuching
Kuala Lumpur
Kilauea

spring to mind

Troux
992445.  Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote

EXE wrote:
Doo Dah is the common nickname of Wichita

Somehow, "Doo Dah Lineman" sounds a little less melancholy.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next