View previous topic | View next topic

Nijinsky

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Frederick The Monk
865.  Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:36 pm Reply with quote

Of course the question is, if you;re just growing cereals wouldn't you also stiick the gate in the corner - just in case you changed your mind.....

Flash
869.  Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:39 pm Reply with quote

Well, you and I might, but those old-time guys might have made them round, or prioritised easy access over cornerosity, or just not had walls at all, because the idea of keeping animals in an enclosure never occurred to them. Or maybe the wife came along and insisted on gates in the middle of the wall because this is the second century BC and corner-gates are so third-century. But I'm glad to have happened upon the grand gonzo of obscure facts, anyway.

We have sheep here at Flashy Farm and I employ my two small sons as sheepdogs; they have found that if they open a gate and stand on the far side of the field, the sheep all just run through it with scarcely any encouragement. It's not "One Man And His Dog" exactly, but it gets the job done, apparently. You want more details, you'll have to talk to them.

Jenny
870.  Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:33 pm Reply with quote

Do you call your sons 'Get up' and 'Come by', Flash?

Flash
884.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:38 am Reply with quote

No, I just address them with a system of whistles and snorts.

Flash
890.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:49 am Reply with quote

Fred - I detect that you are involved in documentaries about archaeological topics. I've been reading about Leptis (or Lepcis) Magna in Libya - do you know if there has ever been a major documentary done on this subject? If not, somebody ought to put things right. Let's have Jumping Jack give us some money and we'll go do it. Bags I hold the microphone.

Frederick The Monk
891.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 6:55 am Reply with quote

I do make the odd doc on things historical/ archaeological and as far as I know there's not been anything major on Leptis. Rome is currently a favourite subject again - hence the BBC docudramas - so there's always an opening for a good angle. The BBC have just also signed a copro deal with HBO to produce 12 dramas about the early Empire (well from JC to Augustus) slated at $5million per ep! I think there's something of an appetite for a new' I Claudius' .

As soon as 'Channel QI' is up and running I'll write a treatment!

JumpingJack
895.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:07 am Reply with quote

Wonderful stuff you lot. Who would ever have thought that 'Corners' would be interesting of themselves? Very QI indeed.

While we're on possible documentary subjects, the bloke mending our Aga in the kitchen at this very moment is the Oxfordshire expert on wild Big Cats, which apparently infest both Wantage and Wokingham. (He's not a loony, he's a really good egg. The police call him first whenever there's a sighting, and a guy who used to run Oxford Scientific has bought him a trigger-camera to use).

Anyone think there's mileage in a docco about that?

Meanwhile, Flashy, enlighten me about Leptis Magna. Typically, I seem to be the only person on the boards who's never heard of it....

Jenny
897.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:24 am Reply with quote

I can see a documentary about Big Cats being popular. Complete with blurry photographs of what could be a large tomcat taken at a strange distance. Not that I'm cynical. Oh no. But given a sufficiently sepulchral voice-over and a nice characterful Big Cat expert it could be good.

All I know about Leptis Magna I learned from reading the works of Lindsey Davis. If you haven't come across this series of historical novels, starring a Roman detective called Marcus Didius Falco, I highly recommend them. The are written sequentially and probably best read that way since there is a story thread connecting all of them, but it's not essential. She's an excellent writer and really knows her stuff about ancient Rome so the historical details are right as far as I can judge. One of the more recent ones was set largely in Leptis Magna (in modern Libya, isn't it? I can't remember properly now as it must be about two or three years since I read that one). I want to read her recent one, 'The Jupiter Myth', but it's not out here in paperback yet.

Jack, there's a good link about it here: http://www.alnpete.co.uk/lepcis/porta.html

I always thought it was 'Leptis' but this site has it as 'Lepcis'. I'd love to visit it, but the chances are absolutely zilch.

Flash
909.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:06 am Reply with quote

It seems to be generally known as Leptis except by archaeologists, who call it Lepcis. It lies 100 miles east of Tripoli on the coast and was one of the largest cities of the ancient world, and it's weirdly intact, columns standing, streets with shops, a theatre which seats 40,000. It's described as "the most stupendous abandoned city in Africa". Thing is, nobody goes there because it's in Libya.

Flash
923.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:35 pm Reply with quote

On the alien big cats (ABCs), there was a big feature about them in ish 167 of the Fortean Times (Feb 2003). Paul Sieveking, one of their founding editors, takes a particular interest in ABCs. There's a bibliography and references to a few websites as well, eg www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-countryside/vertebrates/exotic.htm, though this just tells you how to report your sighting to the Men in Black so they can come and tell you it never happened.

Last edited by Flash on Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Frederick The Monk
926.  Thu Oct 30, 2003 2:00 pm Reply with quote

There was also a BBC2 doc last year on them - although I think it just dealt with cases in the West Country.

JumpingJack
1059.  Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Flash

Knowing your interest in Forteana, would you be interested in meeting Paul Sieveking? Garrick writes for Fortean Times and has asked me the same question? Fancy a trip?

Flash
1082.  Mon Nov 03, 2003 4:14 am Reply with quote

Definitely absolutely. I'm clearing the diary.

Jenny
1100.  Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:19 pm Reply with quote

<turns green with envy>

Frederick The Monk
1105.  Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:16 pm Reply with quote

<Turns blue thanks to an overdose of processed peas.>

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next