View previous topic | View next topic

Diets

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Are they making clothes smaller than they used to?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

gerontius grumpus
49422.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote

I once heard a programme on Radio 4, about a man who avoided gastric upsets when travelling in India, by deliberately infesting himself with tapeworms.
On returning to Britain he took a wormer to rid himself of the worms.
He said it worked well.

djgordy
49426.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote

The tape worm thing is a not unheard of way of losing weight. It is said that a lot of models and jockeys do it, though none actually admit to it.

Jenny
49470.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Ewwww! But wouldn't it make you feel dreadfully ill?

djgordy
49474.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Tapeworm infestation usually doesn't have any symptons other than anaemia and weight loss; except in those cases where the worm inhabits tissue other then the gut. People can have a full sized tape worm inside them and never feel any ill effects.

mckeonj
49480.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Tapeworm infestation usually doesn't have any symptons other than anaemia and weight loss; except in those cases where the worm inhabits tissue other then the gut. People can have a full sized tape worm inside them and never feel any ill effects.

Just don't tell us how big full size is.........

Celebaelin
49488.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:57 pm Reply with quote

This has taken an unexpected course but do I care? Do I f........

Aaaaaanyway, tapeworms are QI 'cos they have what I was told at school were co-hosts ie they can live in two organisms; humans and pigs.

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/T/Tapeworms.html

and this is, allegedly, the origin of the anti pork religious stuff.

simonp
49491.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote

Best diet: Move more, Eat less

Archaenon
49499.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:46 pm Reply with quote

I've seen some QI instersting shows , mostly Nova on tapeworms. Thier size is amazing. They are really useful creatures . Some of the urban myths around them , are really bizarre , but I suppose they are all plausible.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/horrors/
http://everything2.com/index.pl?node=tapeworm

laidbacklazyman
49520.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:10 am Reply with quote

simonp wrote:

Not strictly true with the eat less bit.

Your body tends to be quite a clever little bit of kit and if you eat less it tends to store some of the food as fat because it thinks there is a bit of a shortage.

The way to do it is to eat properly and move more. Apparently (which I do know is a naughty word but still) there are reasons why we eat the combinations that we do. Everything is a toxin but as with most mild toxins there is an antedote. There is a protein in milk that counteracts against the acid in Roobarb which is why we eat the two together and always have done since childhood. The older way of eating (homestyle or comfort) is perfectly fine as long as you do it regularly coupled with exercise.

simonp
49534.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:13 am Reply with quote

simonp wrote:

Maybe i should have added the word 'chocolate' ;-)

DELETED
49546.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:03 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Cleverina Clogs
49675.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:54 am Reply with quote

Sadly we do not having standard sizing in this country, therefore you can be a size 12 in Wallis, a 14 in M&S, and an 18 in Warehouse. Also clothes are not cut according to body shape (pear v apple ... I am quite sure the blokes have no idea what I am talking about!)

Also when it comes to bra sizing (sorry guys, no doubt you are falling asleep as you read this post...), again manufacturers differ wildly and most women do not fit the size they measure at. This is because manufacturers do not take the shape of the bust into account.

eggshaped
49695.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:23 pm Reply with quote

A number of clothing companies deliberatly make their sizes larger, in order to make shoppers think they are fitting into smaller clothes - apparently this helps sales considerably.

<edit>
Vanity sizing.

gerontius grumpus
49740.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quote

In the late 1950s, an amphetamine called Preludin was sold as a slimming aid owing to its appetite supressing ability.
This caught on with partygoers and rock musicians as a recreational drug which enables the user to stay awake and active all night.
This is what the Beatles took when they played all night in the clubs in Hamburg before they became famous.

tetsabb
49747.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote

So, the story so far seems to be:-

Move more, and eat tapeworms on speed.

Should we recommend it to that irritating MacLeish woman (or whatever her name is) and make a fly-on-the-wall documentary following someone trying it?
Or do we just publish it as the QI diet and wait for enormous wedges of royalty cash to come rolling in?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next