View previous topic | View next topic

Diets

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Are they making clothes smaller than they used to?
Yes
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
No
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Celebaelin
49326.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:03 am Reply with quote

Prompted by the fact that according to the bathroom scales I am now 118kg (18.5 stones) I have decided to start this thread (whether I will start exercising is another question). It should be obvious that even at 197cm (6 feet 5 and a bit) I donít know much about diets, human ones or animal ones, but here are a couple of factoids to get things started.

Quote:
The best desert survivor is the kangroo rat. This little rodent eats only dry seeds, and is never seen drinking water. He is able to make water inside his body while digesting his food. This metabolic water is all he needs to survive. He is also a master at saving water. When in his burrow during the day, he seals all the entrances so none of the cool, moist air is lost.

http://www.nps.gov/whsa/animals.htm

Quote:
Christina adopts weird diet
Staff reporter
Fri, 29 Jul 2005
Christina Aguilera is said to be following an extremely weird diet which is based on the texture and colour of her food.
The raunchy star is apparently following a diet of meals made up of four food items; crunchy, soft, hot and cold.
A source who is close to the star revealed that the 'Dirrty' singer's plate must also have food in bold and contrasting colours.

http://entertainment.iafrica.com/news/467125.htm

Quote:
The Feingold diet can force kids to become liars, ruin parent-child relationships, and ultimately cause kids to self-medicate because they are being denied appropriate drug treatment for their ADHD. I know because I was one of them.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Victims/feingold.html
Quote:
In 1973, Benjamin Feingold, M.D., a pediatric allergist from California, proposed that salicylates, artificial colors, and artificial flavors caused hyperactivity in children. (Hyperactivity is now medically classified as attention deficit disorder [ADD] or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder [ADHD]). To treat or prevent this condition, Feingold suggested a diet that was free of such chemicals. His followers now claim that asthma, bedwetting, ear infections, eye-muscle disorders, seizures, sleep disorders, stomach aches, and a long list of other symptoms may respond to the Feingold program and that sensitivity to synthetic additives and/or salicylates may be a factor in antisocial traits, compulsive aggression, self-mutilation, difficulty in reasoning, stuttering, and exceptional clumsiness. The "Symptom Checklist" on the Feingold Association of the United States (FAUS) web site includes many additional problems.
//
Because the Feingold diet does no physical harm, it might appear to be helpful in some instances. However, the potential benefits should be weighed against the potential harm of:

Teaching children that their behavior and school performance are related to what they eat rather than what they feel
Undermining their self esteem by implanting notions that they are unhealthy and fragile
Creating situations in which their eating behavior or fear of chemicals are regarded as peculiar by other children [14]
Depriving them of the opportunity to receive appropriate professional help (medication, psychotherapy, or both).

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/feingold.html

Fimo
49341.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote

Oh for heavens sake! Eat a balanced diet and take regular exercise. (Says the lardy woman sitting at the computer desk thinking about having another snack!) It isn't my fault - I have ordered an stepper type thing off ebay but it hasn't come yet which I regard as a reasonable excuse for postponement (query - existence of word). mmm doughnuts...

gerontius grumpus
49347.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:41 am Reply with quote

I once visited the Kaiserpfalz at Goslar where, in one of the rooms, there are murals depicting key events in the life of Luther.
One of the murals showed him eating worms.
My friend, who spoke fluent German, explained that this represented his attendance at the diet of Worms, a kind of Synod of Whitby for Germans.

Im not sure if the pun was meant to be funny, or if it was misunderstood by the artists, or if it was an artistic convention to represent something difficult to portray with a visual pun.

mckeonj
49355.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Martin Luther suffered chronic constipation and was in constant pain, partly caused by various hardly-to-be-mentioned remedies, which may well have included eating worms.

ficklefiend
49373.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:41 pm Reply with quote

Oh thank you for posting this! I had a brainwave for a Diet topic for D on my way home but then managed to completely forget what it was by the time I got there.

Prof. Hugh Pennington, a bit of a celebrity as he appears on the telly at the merest whiff of a story concerning microbiology, did a research project on the Typhoid outbreak which happened in Aberdeen in 1964 at the time they traced the whole thing back, correctly, to a huge can of corned beef from Argentina. He came to talk to us at our school and told us an interesting little snippet-

The majority of those affected were young women in their 20's because at the time there was apparently a Atkins type fad diet which was based on corned beef.

There must be some quite interesting diet recommendations out there...

Celebaelin
49401.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Worm = Wyrm = Dragon (=[presumably] Wirms)

djgordy
49404.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote

mckeonj wrote:
Martin Luther suffered chronic constipation and was in constant pain, partly caused by various hardly-to-be-mentioned remedies, which may well have included eating worms.

Agence France Presse English
12-13-2004

There is the Scarsdale Diet ... the Atkins Diet... and now: the Diet of Pig Whipworms.

The parasite known as Trichuris suis has been given the okay in an unconventional experiment to tackle inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), an ailment that is on the rise in Western countries.

Twenty-nine people with a mild form of Crohn's disease, a potentially disabling IBD, were asked to swallow 2,500 worm eggs every three weeks for six months. The eggs were mixed up in a soft drink to disguise the taste.

Four patients withdrew ...

Celebaelin
49406.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Crohn's disease?

Degenerative isn't it?

djgordy
49407.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:42 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Worm = Wyrm = Dragon (=[presumably] Wirms)

Worms is a city in Burgundy. It's name is a modern shortened form of Wormatia which is a latinised version of the Celtic name Borbetomagus which means 'settlement in a watery area'. Though most famous for the Diet of 1521 it was also the location for the event that was the basis for the Nibelungenlied, when the Roman general Aetius called in a band of Hun mercenaries to destroy the first Burgundian kingdom. It was also the place in which William Tyndale's translation of the Bible was printed and it is also the home of liebfraumilch.

Oh, the Diet was a General Assembly of the Holy Roman Empire presided over by Charles V. Martin Luther was summoned and asked to affirm or retract the 95 theses that he had nailed to the door of Wittenbirg Cathedral. As he refused to renounce them he was branded an outlaw and heretic and his literature was banned.

Caradoc
49415.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote

Being 5'6" & now 12 stone I sympathise, stop swallowing & exercise more.

Archaenon
49417.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:55 am Reply with quote

A healthy diet and normal exercise puts an end to that nasty "diet" word all around.

gerontius grumpus
49422.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:24 am Reply with quote

I once heard a programme on Radio 4, about a man who avoided gastric upsets when travelling in India, by deliberately infesting himself with tapeworms.
On returning to Britain he took a wormer to rid himself of the worms.
He said it worked well.

djgordy
49426.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote

The tape worm thing is a not unheard of way of losing weight. It is said that a lot of models and jockeys do it, though none actually admit to it.

Jenny
49470.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Ewwww! But wouldn't it make you feel dreadfully ill?

djgordy
49474.  Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Tapeworm infestation usually doesn't have any symptons other than anaemia and weight loss; except in those cases where the worm inhabits tissue other then the gut. People can have a full sized tape worm inside them and never feel any ill effects.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next