View previous topic | View next topic

Hocus Pocus Mistake

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

AlmondFacialBar
964141.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Your banter detector needs recalibrating.

The concept of Quiditch (even in the books) is at best vague; the structure, objectives and conduct of the game makes no sense. All we know is that catching the snitch ends the game, goals scored with the Quaffle score ten points, so a team needs a better than 15 goal margin to win withouit catching the snitch.

We know that there is a "pitch", which has markings and a boundary, but we also know that play and players are not confined to the boundaries of the pitch. The markings on the pitch serve no known purpose at all. We know that "free shots" are awarded for "fouls", but since every kind of assault on other players (both non-lethal and lethal) seems to be permitted it's not clear what actually consititues a foul.

It doesn't *matter* that it makes no sense, since the game just forms part of the backdrop to the stories, showing the public school obsession with "sports" (the means by which the right thickos are able to lord it over their sentient classmates, explaining why so much of British culture, commerce and government is dominated by people whose IQ barely makes it into whole numbers, let alone multiple digits) translated into the "Magical world" paradigm.

But since the game itself makes no sense, and is fictitious, it's not really significant that an actor who might have spent a few days acting out scenes involving the game over the last ten years, apparently lacks an encyclopoedic knowledge of the non-existant game. It would be akin to discovering that Daniel Craig was unable to field-strip a Walther PPK whilst blindfolded, or that Tom Cruise wasn't able to cite the minimum single-engined control speeds (Vmca) for the most common F14 mi9ssion configurations.

Actors are acting - they don't really do that shit, you know...

PDR

Though I'd bet you anything that people have walked up to Hugh Laurie in the street and told him their symptoms in the hope of a diagnosis. People do that, y'know... (German actor who plays a paraplegic doctor on a soap: "When I'm on holidays people will come up to me and express amazement I'm not in a wheelchair.")

As for Quidditch rules and fouls, you'll find a bunch of them in Quidditch through the ages, very funny compendium on the game as written by Ms Rowling for charity.

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Rias Gremory
964143.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote

I have that book AFB, it was Quite Interesting ;)

PDR
964148.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Though I'd bet you anything that people have walked up to Hugh Laurie in the street and told him their symptoms in the hope of a diagnosis.

I wouldn't take that bet because he has said as muich - in fact the scary thing is that sometimes he finds himself offering a diagnosis because the described symptoms shake loose a piece of half-remembered script!

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
964156.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:18 am Reply with quote

*LOL* Well, he also said that when he was a teenager patients would confuse him for his Dad on the phone in the middle of the night and he'd have to feign medical competence. He's obviously good at it (as we know), according to further quotes nobody died. ;-)

And I bet they're amazed he has two perfectly functional legs, too...

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
964164.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote

Depends how many good friends he had - a firend will give you an alibi but a GOOD friend will help you hide the bodies...

I'm very much in the horns of the dilema about House. I really liked the series and enjoyed the characters (most of them, although Foreman was rather wooden) and I miss new epi9sodes a lot. But I also feel that they had run out of ideas, and almost uniquely for a big-buck american series they did actually end i9t when it was in its prime rather than letting it decay into a long, lingering death. I'd love to see a scenario which would both allow it to continue AND provide frsh material, but I can see it would be very difficult. I wondered if they could have him co-opted into the CIA as an "un-person" working in obscure locations & scenarios, and even occaisionally appearing back in Princeton under an assumed name. But it would be rather contrived and would need very creative writing.

At the moment I'm on methadone therapy through "Suits" (which I find very sharp and well written, and can't wait for series 2 to start next week!). I'd love to have seen Laurie in another major role (he'd do a brilliant Flashman, and would be a good Rumpole if he was fatter and uglier) but I can't see that happening for a while yet.

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
964173.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:47 am Reply with quote

Well, they've kind of left themselves the possibility of making a movie with the half open ending, haven't they? It would be a good one, too, the two of them out there with nothing left to lose.

And while I agree that they were right to end it when they did I also miss new episodes like hell. As stupid as that sounds, these two guys (as in House and Wilson) helped me through a lot of shit in my life and I wonder about the same way you wonder about real life friends you've lost touch with.

In November, about a week or two after Wilson's assumed expiry date, I was staying in County Clare, home of misfits and eccentrics, in a hotelroom overlooking the Atlantic with a similarly House obssessed friend, and one fine morning she woke up, took in the view and said: "Y'know, I think House is gonna end up here." He probably would, too... *LOL*

Btw - I'm by all means obsessed, as this post clearly shows, but how the fuck obsessed do you have to be to honestly assume that Hugh actually possesses any medical knowledge? *eek* Are these people also amazed to see that his best buddy is actually very much alive and decidedly not in the closet?

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
964182.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am Reply with quote

Well yes, but TV series rarely translate into good movies, because you need much more character development (and more "realism" in the characters for general day-to-day activities) for the broader movie canvas.

But a spin-off series "house and wilson on the road" might work, especially if his wanderings managed to encounter some novel technique by which wilson's cancer could be held in intermittant remission. There might also be scope for some prequels, but that would require House to regress to his earlier character.

I gather the "confusing him with a real doctor" is something that is suffered by pretty well all TV doctors, though.

PDR

Rias Gremory
964188.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:11 am Reply with quote

If we are talking about shows I'd like there to be more episodes of then for me it's Dresden Files. So disappointed the show was axed :( Yes it was quite different from the novels but I felt it stood on its own very well.

Wouldn't mind more Daria either for that matter! Would love some College episodes!

AlmondFacialBar
964191.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:14 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Well yes, but TV series rarely translate into good movies, because you need much more character development (and more "realism" in the characters for general day-to-day activities) for the broader movie canvas.

But a spin-off series "house and wilson on the road" might work, especially if his wanderings managed to encounter some novel technique by which wilson's cancer could be held in intermittant remission. There might also be scope for some prequels, but that would require House to regress to his earlier character.

I gather the "confusing him with a real doctor" is something that is suffered by pretty well all TV doctors, though.

PDR

There's a scenario in a fanfic that I like enormously where Wilson gets scarlett fever on the road and the bacterial toxins force the cancer into remission. Apparently there is a remote medical possibility of that actually happening, and it would be very much in the spirit of the series, so - YEAH! :-D

(And now they have nothing left to lose, could they finally get into each other's pants? Pretty please with a cherry on top?)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
964192.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:15 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Well, they've kind of left themselves the possibility of making a movie with the half open ending, haven't they? It would be a good one, too.

If that movie happens, should the producers or should they not find a reason for S Fry to be in it?

AlmondFacialBar
964207.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:31 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Well, they've kind of left themselves the possibility of making a movie with the half open ending, haven't they? It would be a good one, too.

If that movie happens, should the producers or should they not find a reason for S Fry to be in it?

I've always wanted Dr Wyatt to cross over into House as House's therapist, cos that would be cool... :-D But really... Any excuse, right? ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

PDR
964216.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote

The opportunity was missed to have his Fryness appear at princeton Plainsborough as a an ovebearing senior consultant in the James Robertson-Justice mould - it might have made for a different story if he'd been the other doctor in the CIA episode. Equally he could have been the doctor in the rehab clinic, but it would have to have been written differently. I do wish they had actually had a story in which House DID give a patient leprosy as a diagnostic technique (successfully), but I understand they scoured the medical journals in a fruitless search for the justification!

But overall I'm against forced double-acts where the reason for putting them together relates to the relationship between the actors rather than the characters (it rarely works IMHO).

PDR

AlmondFacialBar
964219.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:02 am Reply with quote

I suppose in any possible upcoming movie or spin-off series he could still be the old oncologist mentor figure who successfully bullies Wilson into accepting some sort of kill or cure chemo after all... ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Strawberry
964266.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:22 pm Reply with quote

Hi, Rias Gremory; welcome to QI. We have a few other Australians here so you should hopefully feel at home.

PabloPablo
1169698.  Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Rias Gremory wrote:
No shit PDR! Luckily I have looked around the forum enough to see that you delight in being purposefully antagonistic.

However he was IN THE MOVIE where the snitch was caught and the team didn't win! And any good actor starring in a movie based on a book series would read the books (although it would explain why most of the movies were awful if they hadn't)

I simply pointed itout as something curious I had noticed and wondered if other Harry Potter fans had also thought the same.

I think what's quite interesting is that between them, neither Daniel Radcliffe, portrayer of HP in film, or Stephen Fry, narrator of HP audio-books, knows the one, most simple, most important rule of Quidditch. THAT's the point.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next