View previous topic | View next topic

Hocus Pocus Mistake

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Rias Gremory
963839.  Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote

Tried doing a search but didn't find anything so please excuse me if it has been mentioned before.

I was watching the Hocus Pocus episode and in it Daniel states that if you catch the snitch you win automatically. That's not true though! You get awarded 150 points and the game ends. Usually the team that catches it wins but not always (which even happens in the 4th book).

Harry Potter, wrong about Quidditch!

Jenny
963918.  Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:47 am Reply with quote

Welcome Rias Gremory :-)

Rias Gremory
964046.  Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote

PDR
964089.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:53 am Reply with quote

Because it's FICTION!

That's why his name is "Daniel Radcliffe" not "Harry Potter"...

PDR

Last edited by PDR on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total

AlmondFacialBar
964091.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:04 am Reply with quote

LIKE!

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Rias Gremory
964121.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:46 am Reply with quote

No shit PDR! Luckily I have looked around the forum enough to see that you delight in being purposefully antagonistic.

However he was IN THE MOVIE where the snitch was caught and the team didn't win! And any good actor starring in a movie based on a book series would read the books (although it would explain why most of the movies were awful if they hadn't)

I simply pointed itout as something curious I had noticed and wondered if other Harry Potter fans had also thought the same.

AlmondFacialBar
964124.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote

Thing is... No actor keeps their lines in mind for longer than it takes to film the bit of any day (think about it - it would be pretty much impossible to do that). Hence I don't see any reason why between reading the books as a kid and and having filmed his last Quidditch scene about five years before that show he should remember that particular detail. You and me know it because we're Harry geeks and have read the books countless times, but chances are that he hasn't.

AlmondFacialBar

Rias Gremory
964130.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote

True AFB and I wasn't intending to have a go at him (I personally like the guy from what I have seen and read of him). I was just pointing it out as an oversight and wondering if other Potter geeks had noticed the same.

I got my back up a bit at the inference that I was an idiot that somehow couldn't notice that Daniel Radcliffe wasn't in fact the actual fictional character.

I should know better than to feed the trolls!

AlmondFacialBar
964132.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:14 am Reply with quote

I don't think PDR is a troll tbh...

AlmondFacialBar

Rias Gremory
964135.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:21 am Reply with quote

From what I have read he does seem to delight in making controversial posts. I could be wrong but it's not exactly inviting or conducive to interesting conversation which is why I sought out this forum in the first place.

Perhaps there is just a cultural barrier.

Last edited by Rias Gremory on Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

PDR
964138.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote

Your banter detector needs recalibrating.

The concept of Quiditch (even in the books) is at best vague; the structure, objectives and conduct of the game makes no sense. All we know is that catching the snitch ends the game, goals scored with the Quaffle score ten points, so a team needs a better than 15 goal margin to win withouit catching the snitch.

We know that there is a "pitch", which has markings and a boundary, but we also know that play and players are not confined to the boundaries of the pitch. The markings on the pitch serve no known purpose at all. We know that "free shots" are awarded for "fouls", but since every kind of assault on other players (both non-lethal and lethal) seems to be permitted it's not clear what actually consititues a foul.

It doesn't *matter* that it makes no sense, since the game just forms part of the backdrop to the stories, showing the public school obsession with "sports" (the means by which the right thickos are able to lord it over their sentient classmates, explaining why so much of British culture, commerce and government is dominated by people whose IQ barely makes it into whole numbers, let alone multiple digits) translated into the "Magical world" paradigm.

But since the game itself makes no sense, and is fictitious, it's not really significant that an actor who might have spent a few days acting out scenes involving the game over the last ten years, apparently lacks an encyclopoedic knowledge of the non-existant game. It would be akin to discovering that Daniel Craig was unable to field-strip a Walther PPK whilst blindfolded, or that Tom Cruise wasn't able to cite the minimum single-engined control speeds (Vmca) for the most common F14 mi9ssion configurations.

Actors are acting - they don't really do that shit, you know...

PDR

Rias Gremory
964140.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:50 am Reply with quote

Ooooookay>

Even if some of the details are vague it very clearly explains that catching the snitch awards you 150 points and ends the game- not that catching the snitch makes you automatically win the game. The conversation in the show revolved around the concept that the rest of the game was pointless because catching the snitch meant you win. This is not true.

I was pointing it out purely to see if other Potter fans had noticed and to discuss it. I am quite well aware they are acting and not actually playing Quidditch. I am Australian, not an idiot.

You clearly delight in belittling people to make yourself feel superior. I just wanted to meet other QI fans and discuss the show because I love the show and don't know many fans here in Australia.

You sure know how to make peope feel welcome don't you!

AlmondFacialBar
964141.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:52 am Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Your banter detector needs recalibrating.

The concept of Quiditch (even in the books) is at best vague; the structure, objectives and conduct of the game makes no sense. All we know is that catching the snitch ends the game, goals scored with the Quaffle score ten points, so a team needs a better than 15 goal margin to win withouit catching the snitch.

We know that there is a "pitch", which has markings and a boundary, but we also know that play and players are not confined to the boundaries of the pitch. The markings on the pitch serve no known purpose at all. We know that "free shots" are awarded for "fouls", but since every kind of assault on other players (both non-lethal and lethal) seems to be permitted it's not clear what actually consititues a foul.

It doesn't *matter* that it makes no sense, since the game just forms part of the backdrop to the stories, showing the public school obsession with "sports" (the means by which the right thickos are able to lord it over their sentient classmates, explaining why so much of British culture, commerce and government is dominated by people whose IQ barely makes it into whole numbers, let alone multiple digits) translated into the "Magical world" paradigm.

But since the game itself makes no sense, and is fictitious, it's not really significant that an actor who might have spent a few days acting out scenes involving the game over the last ten years, apparently lacks an encyclopoedic knowledge of the non-existant game. It would be akin to discovering that Daniel Craig was unable to field-strip a Walther PPK whilst blindfolded, or that Tom Cruise wasn't able to cite the minimum single-engined control speeds (Vmca) for the most common F14 mi9ssion configurations.

Actors are acting - they don't really do that shit, you know...

PDR

Though I'd bet you anything that people have walked up to Hugh Laurie in the street and told him their symptoms in the hope of a diagnosis. People do that, y'know... (German actor who plays a paraplegic doctor on a soap: "When I'm on holidays people will come up to me and express amazement I'm not in a wheelchair.")

As for Quidditch rules and fouls, you'll find a bunch of them in Quidditch through the ages, very funny compendium on the game as written by Ms Rowling for charity.

AlmondFacialBar

Rias Gremory
964143.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 am Reply with quote

I have that book AFB, it was Quite Interesting ;)

PDR
964148.  Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:04 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
Though I'd bet you anything that people have walked up to Hugh Laurie in the street and told him their symptoms in the hope of a diagnosis.

I wouldn't take that bet because he has said as muich - in fact the scary thing is that sometimes he finds himself offering a diagnosis because the described symptoms shake loose a piece of half-remembered script!

PDR

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next