View previous topic | View next topic

Dinner

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

djgordy
49664.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:

It is odd how the terminology has changed, and I can't put my finger on when it happened.

:-)

Tas


"Dear Ms. Coren,

on your next series of Balderdash and Piffle could you please find out when us Northerners stopped calling dinner 'dinner' and tea 'tea' and started calling them by soft southern names."

 
Tas
49665.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it happened in the late sixties, Tas - that's when I recall noticing it, anyway.


I was not around then! I was born in the age of beige velour! (The 70s to all those born in the Age of NO style, or the 80s!)



Quote:
"Dear Ms. Coren,

on your next series of Balderdash and Piffle could you please find out when us Northerners stopped calling dinner 'dinner' and tea 'tea' and started calling them by soft southern names."


I am from Norf London (as the proper pronunciation is around here, apparently) and object to being called a soft southerner. They are from sarf of The River!

:-)

Tas

 
dr.bob
49679.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
I am from Norf London (as the proper pronunciation is around here, apparently) and object to being called a soft southerner. They are from sarf of The River!


I live in Scotland and can catagorically tell you that anything south of the border is "south".

London is practically in France!

 
eggshaped
49696.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote

While geographically Bolton is in the midlands I suppose, the reason we are quite unequivically in the north is due to the bottom-heavy population distribution in these isles.

 
gerontius grumpus
49737.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Well of course we could never afford dinner, we were lucky if we could afford the price of a cup of tea.
With no milk or sugar........or tea.
Aye and from a cracked cup and all.

 
djgordy
49738.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote

....cup? You had a cup? Luxury!

 
Archaenon
49748.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote

I never actually have dinner. I'm usually sitting over a stack of Bristol board covered in ink and drinking chai. I ate once today , which was around 2 pm.

So I guess , we never have proper dinner/supper.

 
Tas
49761.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
London is practically in France!


You. Outside now, for fisticuffmanship!

(Although, I do not live in London these days, but in a pleasant village, just outside our second city....St Albans)

Quote:
....cup? You had a cup? Luxury!


Well....it were a cup to us.

:-)

Tas

 
Celebaelin
50941.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Quote:
Don't tip your bowl to get that last spoonful

Really? I thought tipping it away from you was acceptable (obviously, since you're carrying your spoon away from you). If in doubt watch the head of the table, unless you're it, in which case do what you like.

The funny thing about soup is that it's dreadfully difficult to eat with a fork.

Right, this is wierd. I was just watching Scrubs on Sky, and the janitor came up to JD in the canteen pretending to eat soup with a fork.

Damn my lack of originality.

 
Cleverina Clogs
51165.  Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote

... it might have been a *gasp* spork!

 
Celebaelin
51176.  Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:45 am Reply with quote

Nope, definitely a fork, that was the joke y'see.

 
nidave
52341.  Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
While geographically Bolton is in the midlands I suppose, the reason we are quite unequivically in the north is due to the bottom-heavy population distribution in these isles.


I thought everywhere north of the M25 is considered up north!

 
Tas
52349.  Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:03 am Reply with quote

I always thought it was everything north of the Watford Gap?

Last time me and Mrs Tas went to see her folks (who live in darkest Lancashire) we drove toward a sign that simply said...

"The North"

Behind us, clear blue skies and sunshine galore...ahead of us was the ugliest, darkest cloud bank I have ever seen!

Welcome t' grim north!

:-)

Tas

 
nidave
52365.  Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:22 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
I always thought it was everything north of the Watford Gap?

Last time me and Mrs Tas went to see her folks (who live in darkest Lancashire) we drove toward a sign that simply said...

"The North"

Behind us, clear blue skies and sunshine galore...ahead of us was the ugliest, darkest cloud bank I have ever seen!

Welcome t' grim north!

:-)

Tas


I was chatting to someone (now friends) from London. We had been chatting for about 4 or 5 years by this time. Aranged to meet up for a drink in a pub, I asked if he would like to come up north to see the sites and smells of Teesside - In reply I got the answer "but its such along way why dont you come down here" to which I replied"its just as far for me to travel" the responce I got was "I never though about it that way"

 
Tas
52377.  Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:43 am Reply with quote

Sheesh...some people!

LOL

:-)

Tas

 

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are GMT - 5 Hours


Display posts from previous:   

Search Search Forums

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group