View previous topic | View next topic

Dinner

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

eggshaped
49596.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:12 pm Reply with quote

I'm a fully paid-up northerner, and we always call the midday meal lunch and the evening meal dinner.

These were fairly interchangable though, and if the main meal of the day was taken at midday it could be called dinner (as in school dinners which were generally hot meals, compared with packed lunches which were more snacky).

dr.bob
49622.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 am Reply with quote

Oh well, bang goes that theory then.

I grew up in the south and always called my midday meal "lunch" and my evening meal "dinner".

My wife grew up in the north and insisted that everyone she'd ever known called the midday meal "dinner" and the evening meal "tea".

At least I can take comfort from the fact that most people here agree I was right all along :)

nidave
49652.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:47 am Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
Did you grow up in the south of England?

I am fron Northern Ireland

Tas
49659.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:41 am Reply with quote

When I was growing up the two meals were dinner (on or about 12 o'clock normally) and tea (5-ish).

Nowadays, lunch is anytime between 1 and 2, and dinner is any time after 6:30 pm.....oh, the joys of working.

It is odd how the terminology has changed, and I can't put my finger on when it happened.

:-)

Tas

Jenny
49662.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote

I think it happened in the late sixties, Tas - that's when I recall noticing it, anyway.

djgordy
49664.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:51 am Reply with quote

Tas wrote:

It is odd how the terminology has changed, and I can't put my finger on when it happened.

Tas

"Dear Ms. Coren,

on your next series of Balderdash and Piffle could you please find out when us Northerners stopped calling dinner 'dinner' and tea 'tea' and started calling them by soft southern names."

Tas
49665.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 am Reply with quote

Quote:
I think it happened in the late sixties, Tas - that's when I recall noticing it, anyway.

I was not around then! I was born in the age of beige velour! (The 70s to all those born in the Age of NO style, or the 80s!)

Quote:
"Dear Ms. Coren,

on your next series of Balderdash and Piffle could you please find out when us Northerners stopped calling dinner 'dinner' and tea 'tea' and started calling them by soft southern names."

I am from Norf London (as the proper pronunciation is around here, apparently) and object to being called a soft southerner. They are from sarf of The River!

Tas

dr.bob
49679.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:11 pm Reply with quote

Tas wrote:
I am from Norf London (as the proper pronunciation is around here, apparently) and object to being called a soft southerner. They are from sarf of The River!

I live in Scotland and can catagorically tell you that anything south of the border is "south".

London is practically in France!

eggshaped
49696.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:33 pm Reply with quote

While geographically Bolton is in the midlands I suppose, the reason we are quite unequivically in the north is due to the bottom-heavy population distribution in these isles.

gerontius grumpus
49737.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote

Well of course we could never afford dinner, we were lucky if we could afford the price of a cup of tea.
With no milk or sugar........or tea.
Aye and from a cracked cup and all.

djgordy
49738.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:18 pm Reply with quote

....cup? You had a cup? Luxury!

Archaenon
49748.  Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote

I never actually have dinner. I'm usually sitting over a stack of Bristol board covered in ink and drinking chai. I ate once today , which was around 2 pm.

So I guess , we never have proper dinner/supper.

Tas
49761.  Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
London is practically in France!

You. Outside now, for fisticuffmanship!

(Although, I do not live in London these days, but in a pleasant village, just outside our second city....St Albans)

Quote:
....cup? You had a cup? Luxury!

Well....it were a cup to us.

Tas

Celebaelin
50941.  Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:46 pm Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:
Quote:
Don't tip your bowl to get that last spoonful

Really? I thought tipping it away from you was acceptable (obviously, since you're carrying your spoon away from you). If in doubt watch the head of the table, unless you're it, in which case do what you like.

The funny thing about soup is that it's dreadfully difficult to eat with a fork.

Right, this is wierd. I was just watching Scrubs on Sky, and the janitor came up to JD in the canteen pretending to eat soup with a fork.

Damn my lack of originality.

Cleverina Clogs
51165.  Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 am Reply with quote

... it might have been a *gasp* spork!

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next