View previous topic | View next topic

Dinner

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Archaenon
49145.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:16 am Reply with quote

More than you ever wanted to know about Dinner...

Quote:
1. the first meal of the day during which drinking alcohol is considered socially acceptable.
Which has seem to gone out the window these days.
2. the only meal of the day for which intelligent persons will tolerate a social environment; with the expectation that at least 3 out of 7 such meals occur before a lighted television screen and any forays into conversation are wetted with, Im trying to watch this.

Quote:
How do you eat soup?
Using your soup spoon (usually the large, round-bowled spoon), you should carry your spoon away from you to fill it. For some reason, something as simple as soup has a lot of "don'ts" associated with it: " Don't blow on your soup " Don't make loud slurping noises " Don't tip your bowl to get that last spoonful " Don't hold your bowl and drink from it, unless you are in an Asian restaurant, where this is appropriate.

Etiquette FAQ's
Wiki : Dinner
Start a revolution ( This was a weird read. )

I don't know about all of you, I don't watch much TV and when I do eat dinner , I'm not in front of the death box. I kinda figured since it is the "D" series , and I'm assuming all of us attempt that whole dinner thing daily. Thought I'd give it a go.

Also , there is apparently Dinner-Day

There seems to be a day for everything.

Gaazy
49148.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:50 am Reply with quote

Dinner is/was a class thing - it's still the midday meal for many people, and the term survives in "dinner-ladies" (should that not now be Midday Meal Preparation Executives?) and school dinners.

Celebaelin
49151.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:48 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't tip your bowl to get that last spoonful

Really? I thought tipping it away from you was acceptable (obviously, since you're carrying your spoon away from you). If in doubt watch the head of the table, unless you're it, in which case do what you like.

The funny thing about soup is that it's dreadfully difficult to eat with a fork.

Tas
49169.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:25 am Reply with quote

Quote:
The funny thing about soup is that it's dreadfully difficult to eat with a fork.

Why is that funny? I guess that is funny in the same way that catching water in a sieve is?

:-)

Tas

Gray
49171.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:32 am Reply with quote

Come on... everyone knows that soup comes in polystyrene cups.

Celebaelin
49173.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:39 am Reply with quote

Tas:

Like all humour the basis is a logical inversion; that anyone would be stupid enough to think it possible to eat soup with a fork, or a knife for that matter, is inherently a comic situation and therein lies the humour.

If you were amused by Mr Bean painting his room by use of a paint pot and a firework then you should 'get' that. If you weren't, well, whatever personal opinions apply it appears that you are in the minority (which does not of itself make you wrong of course).

Tas
49186.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:23 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin:

No offence was intended, btw, I was 'trying' to be humourous. I think the humour was still-born in my post...

Tas

Celebaelin
49188.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:26 am Reply with quote

No probs. no offence taken, mine was hardly a shining example of verbal humour lets face it.

Archaenon
49222.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:23 am Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Come on... everyone knows that soup comes in polystyrene cups.

In Japan you can get soup in "Tube" form. It comes in a rather strong plastic tubing , you can stuff in bags and such , and it comes in 119 diffrent flavors. My favorite being spicey sea urchin and sweet crab.

Tas
49231.  Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 am Reply with quote

Quote:
No probs. no offence taken, mine was hardly a shining example of verbal humour lets face it.

That's true. It explains why I have to work for a living, and won't be invited on QI as a humourist.

Tas

Celebaelin
49308.  Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:20 am Reply with quote

If you're going to be like that I won't go to all the trouble of writing 'mine' rather than 'it' next time we get confused. *trips over own feet*

:)

c|:o0

nidave
49560.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:07 am Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
Dinner is/was a class thing - it's still the midday meal for many people, and the term survives in "dinner-ladies" (should that not now be Midday Meal Preparation Executives?) and school dinners.

We always called it lunch, the evening meal was always known as dinner in our family - seems to go back years. (still had a dinner lady at school)

dr.bob
49572.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quote

Did you grow up in the south of England?

Jenny
49583.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote

I grew up in the north, and dinner was what we had at lunch time, and tea was what we ate in the evening. I came home from school and my father came home from work in the middle of the day, and my mother cooked a proper meal, whereas in the evening we had a lightish meal. That was in the days when we got an hour and a half break for school dinners, of course, and my father had an hour and a half in the middle of the day.

This all seemed to change in the mid-to-late sixties, and certainly by the time I was first married in 1971 we had our main meal in the evening, which was then called dinner, and a snack we called lunch in the middle of the day.

Here in Maine they have lunch in the middle of the day and supper (suppah) in the evening. When I was growing up, supper was a light snack you might eat late in the evening.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
49585.  Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote

Up here we call the midday meal lunch and the evening meal either tea or dinner. Supper used to be used as well for the evening meal (possibly mainly further north?) but now it tends to mean a snack that you have before you go to bed.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next